I'm stumped

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dirtrider, Mar 16, 2005.

1. I've been asked to play bass in another band, and unlike my regular band which is a cross between Hum and Sunny Day Real Estate in which I play with a pick, this band is bit more mellow and I'm playing strictly fingerstyle. The problem is, I can't seem to get a nice, round fat tone out of my SVT 3 Pro. My settings for the other band are fine, but they don't suit the style of music in the new one. I'm looking for a tone just like Andy Rourke's in "Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now."

Does anyone have any suggestions for settings? I've been fiddling with this the last few rehearsals, I'm having no luck finding what I need and I'm getting desperate. :help:

Thanks, dudes.
  2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'd try leaving the treble flat, and giving just a slight boost to the bass and mid. Maybe at about 700 hz on the mid.
  3. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Start off with your amp set flat. It would be helpfull to know what kind of bass you are using, but generally speaking:
    Try to work with your bass first to get a tone, keep in mind where you strike the string(up by the neck, or back by the bridge) makes a big difference in tone. I don't mean to sound condescending as you may know this already. Once you've got your tone as close as you can tweeking the bass, then work with your amp, Mbungu's setting sound like they would be really good..
  4. Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Pick-Player friend of mine had exact same dilemma...he fixed it by playing with picks made of hard felt and leather. There are different brands out there...it still lets you use the style you are used to but makes the sound more similar to fingerstyle.
  5. I'm playing with a P Bass. I play over the pickups closer to the neck than the bridge normally and pretty much at the end of the neck when I want a more 'upright' tone.

I've read some posts that the Ultra Low Button is not my friend and currently I have that button in, so I'm going to try that button out and knocking some treble down and using the bass knob a bit more. It seems that button may have to reason why I'm not liking the tone much.

I like the idea of the felt/rubber picks, but honestly, I want to play with my fingers in this project. I'm feeling a bit snobbish for some reason. ;)

Thanks for your help, guys. Totally appreciate it.
  6. Try also to cut your nails... I mean I am not kidding, get the nails really short in way that only the pulp of your finger tip will hit the string... you'll feel and hear the different in your sound