im stupid

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by i like yams, Dec 23, 2002.

1. I dont know whats wrong with me. So please spare me. Ok. i use picks (I know, I have very bad technique for doing that) and I don't know if this is bad but I've only been playing the bass for about a year, so i'm not the smartest peanut in the terd. So, this may be a stupid question. Get ready.

Ok, the pickups are getting scratches on them, like the pickguard would. So is this bad? Is it going to screw me up?:confused: Sorry for asking stupid questions.

So long.
  2. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Some people will say picks are evil, wrong, and totally horrible.

Truth be told, they are just another tool to make sounds with. If you like using a pick, by all means, do so.

The pickup getting scratches on it are a result of lack of pick control. Work on your picking technique and gain the control needed.

To be honest, if the pick hitting the pickup isn't noticeable to you when you play and aren't hindering you, then I see no problem. I highly doubt that you will be able to ruin a pickup but scratching it with a pick.
  3. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    As long as you are just scratching the PU covers and not beating on the pickups, you should be fine.

Picks are just another method of playing ad shouldnt be looked down upon, but it can be limiting to only be proficient at pick playing. I recommend that you force yourself not to use picks so that you force yourself to develop better fingerstyle technique.

Im not saying to stop picking completely, but maybe limit it to about half your playing untill you feel comfortable with both styles.

4. no, you should be fine. i have some pick scratches on my pickups too. worst thing that could happen is you eventually put so much wear on it that you have to replace the pickup covers, which would probably be cheap. work on your technique, though, try playing lighter.
  5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  6. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    I like yams,

Try to improve your technique so that the pick stops scratching the P.U. covers. But even if it keeps on doing, as far as the noise of the pick on the cover can't be heard, that's no problem.

Playing with a pick is not synonym of being a bad player. I prefer a bass player who sounds good with a pick, rather than another one who sounds crappy with fingers...

All the best,
  7. if you're hitting the pickups with your pick, it may make some undesirable sounds when playing. but other than that, as others have said, it's no big deal.
    i like yams too.
  8. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    "silly customer, you cannot hurt a Twinkie" :)
    ...unless you're usin' one of those razor-edged stainless-steel picks :confused:
  9. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    As long as it isn't hindering your sound or your playing, don't worry about it. And don't feel bad for playing with a pick. I use one about 15% of the time, but I mainly play with my fingers.

And I like yams, too, although they are sort of in the shape of a turd.