1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I'm sure he's been mentioned, but who was Blue Oyster Cult's bassist?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Skel, Apr 19, 2006.

1. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    I don't know if anybody else feels the same way I do, but I was really blown away with some of the bass lines I heard on early Blue Oyster Cult albums. I still today use a bass line that I stole from who ever this guy was - very impressive IMHO.

2. I most definitely agree. I love his work on Godzilla specifically :-o (Sorry I don't know if that's the exact song title.)
    any albums specifically I should get for the coolset playing? I just have the greatest hits, but the guy is really good.

3. PhR

PhR

Dec 13, 2005
    Finland
    The original bassist was Joe Bouchard. He wrote some of the BÖC classics like "Hot Rails To Hell" and "Astronomy" (together with his brother Albert).
    I'd recommend "Tyranny and Mutation" and "Secret Treaties".

4. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    Glen Cove, NY
    Joey Bouch! He's a really cool guy, I took a songwriting workshop with him some years ago, and stage managed at battles of bands where he would MC. He would play Don't Fear the Reaper on ukele. :p

5. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Ok - well, this guy is a GREAT musician. It seems that when you look at a great bass player, they are always a great *musician*, and many times they are proficient at other instruments as well. And to think he was taking a song writing class - even the greatly talented have to learn somehow.

6. +1. + another 1 for the song Godzilla

Chops are nice and give you options. Musicianship lets you understand what is the right thing to play. It is so beneficial for a bass player to learn another instrument like guitar or keyboard and get exposed to the chordal structure of music. When you listen to guys like him you can hear a lot of knowledge in what they are doing on bass. The way they handle transitional/leading notes and use arpeggiation (Burning for You has some good examples) are two good clues. Also, learning shapes on guitar speeds up your brain's ability to hear and map chords and intervals on bass.

7. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

Sep 17, 2005
    Istanbul
    There is always this B.Ö.C. folder in my mp3 player and the bass is the biggest reason for that.B.Ö.C.'s music is such a nice tune,one of the best IMHO and the basslines are so good and thats so rare.I hate bassists going like EEEE GGGG AAAA and Don't Fear the Reaper has one of my favourite basslines.Well,composing a song like Astronomy is a whole different thing of course. :smug:

8. I am on the lamb but I ain't no sheep.

9. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Bouchard was also playing guitar in a trio with ex-Cooper band mates Dennis Dunaway & Neil Smith...IIRC, this band was called Eyescream & then BDS.
    Neil Smith's website had some info.

10. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    Glen Cove, NY

No no, he was the teacher. :p

11. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Oh - that makes sense. I would just be in awe to sit there and learn from somebody who knows what the hell they're talking about. You are so lucky. I'm always facinated when I hear about song writing teams. I like the idea of being a song writer, but not a lyricist, and some people have such a gift for writing lyrics, but not much in the way of writing the music. Teams are a great idea.

Another poster really said it so well regarding having chordal knowledge to understand how to build great bass lines that are musically solid. If you think about it, you should be able to write a great bass line using just musical theory and never even picking up the instrument until you're playing the line(s) you wrote. That would be a great excercise.

I'm not sure which album it was from, but I used to listen to this album constantly - it had a song called "Dominance and Submission" - this was some great music and one of my earliest influences to bass guitar, so it must have really stood out.

12. PhR

PhR

Dec 13, 2005
    Finland
    It's from "Secret Treaties". Great song with Albert Bouchard barking out the lead vocals. The remaster contains an unreleased Joe Bouchard song "Boorman The Chauffer" which is pretty similar to "Hot Rails To Hell" (maybe the reason why the song was left out of the original release) and a great punky "Mommy" by Eric Bloom.

13. Murf

Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Ireland
    I thought Danny Miranda was BOCs bassist??

14. Secret Treaties kicks ass.

15. Bluesdog

Bluesdog

Apr 24, 2006
    Gold Coast
    One of the best live sounding examples of Bass too on B O C's On Your Feet Or On Your Knees ,
    and a knockout version of " Then came the last days of may"

16. I think he is the player now but not on the early discs