Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I'm sure I'll regret this, but...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by yawnsie, Apr 20, 2002.

1. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    In case you're one of those poor, misguided fools who's ever wondered what my playing or my band sounds like, here we are:

Keep Calling Me

My Life's In Your Hands

I haven't heard what these sound like as mp3s yet, but if they're anything like the mix I have heard, the bass is practically silent. Which I think is probably a good thing. These aren't our best songs by any means, but I suppose it's good we've got something to show at last.

Please, be kind... :eek:

2. supergreg

supergreg

Jan 20, 2002
    Sounds cool:cool:

3. Yeah, listened to both tunes with my sub cranked up. Eees goot yah.

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Nice music, yawnsie. And I can hear the bass just fine.

5. Blux

Blux

Feb 5, 2002
    Philadelphia, Pa.
    Ditto! good sound...

6. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I only downloaded keep calling me

hmm mixed by the guitarist me thinks...I think (for what it's worth) that you nailed the right amount of contrast between simple and busy. I really like the high bits out of the main riff. Being super critical the guitar and drums had some slight glitches on changes and fills whilst the bass remained fluid throughout. I'd hire you.

All the above was written by an old fart who hasn't played the Cavern and would like to.

BTW nice website.

7. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    Thanks for the replies everyone, especially Chris. You're right, the guitarist did mix it - it is pretty obvious actually, isn't it? :D

I'm going to get really cocky now, and put up a link to this one, which from a bassist's point of view is definitely the worst one - I cringe now when I hear myself relentlessly pounding out those quarter notes, ignoring what's going on around me...

Outside Today

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    That 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1 ... is a new twist on the ol' 1, 5, 1, 5, 1, 5 ....

9. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    i wanna hear it!everytime i click on it,it gets screwed up.yes,ive tried everything you guys always say to do.can someone send me and mp3 to Frankencow150@aol.com?make the subject "yawnsie mp3" or something.thanks(only if u send it!haha!:p )

10. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    yeh d00d... my l33t slappin sKiLz mak me sound jus lik FiElDy or summit. who needz theery wen U can rok lik that? rOoTz RuLeZ! Seriously, if you're talking about Outside Today, guilty as charged. I do occasionally try something different on the other two, but it's hard to hear underneath all the mud.

Frankencow... I had that problem myself, actually. Have you tried right-clicking on the name of the song, and then selecting "Save Target As"?

11. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    There's nothing to regret. This is not bad at all!

12. I really like that song. The bass fits the song. I had visions of "Runnin With The Devil" by Van Halen while hearing that quarter note riff. It was cool.

13. By the way, your singer is awesome. Can my band have him :D .

14. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Just a joke, yawns ... good sound. As you may recall, I fairly blow, and actually play lotsa 1, 5, 1, 5, etc. etc.

15. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Sounds real nice, bro! Really high quality sounding. The singer doesnt really do it for me but it works. IMO the last song is probally the coolest.

16. PJR

PJR

Jun 20, 2001
    N.E. PA
    I liked it man........heard the bass just fine .

How was it recorded ??

PJR

17. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    Thanks again, everyone. I'm really suprised at the positive responses, and it's all appreciated.

Macool - I'm sure that can be arranged for a small fee. Be warned though, he can be a bit of a diva. :D

Munji - Mind if I ask, what's this mysterious "5" you keep referring to? Do you have any TaBz showing me how to play it? ;)

PJR - We recorded it ourselves. The drums were miked up in our practise room, and recorded on 8-track tape. They were put onto the guitarist's computer then, and everything else was recorded in Cool Edit Pro.

There's another one up on the site now - I personally think it's the best of our recorded songs. Be warned, though - the mix is TOO bassy, if such a thing is possible... :eek:

Sense Of Regret

18. Downloading Sense of Regret right now, so I can't say what I think about it...

But the other three are pretty good. Sometimes it gets a little repetetive, though. Then again, that could be because I was half asleep when I was listening to them last night... :p

19. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Yawnsie ~

There's two ways to go about it. You play the one (half notes are best), then fret two frets up on the adjacent higher pitched string for another half note, then WHAM!, next half note right back where you started.

For variety, start again with a half note on the one, then fret the same fret on the adjacent LOWER pitched string ... whoa! It's the five, only the LOWER OCTAVE! Then bingo, riht back to the one. Repeat as necessary and/or appropriate.

20. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Bungee - be careful, or I will be forced to move this to the General Instruction Forum!:p