1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Im sure this is a horrible fEARful question..

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by aaronhutson, May 12, 2011.

1. But even after reading thread after thread and looking on the website i still dont understand.

What makes these special?

What do the types mean? ie: 12/6..

Can they come in any combination of speakers?

Im looking for general answers as to how they work and whatnot. Sorry if its terrible to ask. But you gotta find out somehow!

2. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    where's the link?

3. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    12/6 means 1 12" speaker and 1 6" speaker

I'll assume you can figure out what the rest of them mean from there ;)

I'll let the more knowledgeable people fill in the rest of the blanks.

4. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I too am curious... the near religious reverence with which folks write about these cabs makes me both curious and highly skeptical...

5. 12/6 means the cab has a 12" woofer and a 6" midrange. Same rule applies to 15/6. If you see 12/6/1 it means there is a horn. Dual-woofer cabs have the same system for naming, 1515+66 is two 15s and two 6s.

Those are the two main combinations of speakers, 12/6 and 15/6. The boxes are built for specific speakers, so you can't just cram anything in there.

6. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    Eminence came out with the Kappalite series speakers that are pretty much the state of the art for woofers . Greenboy designed the fEarful cabinets to make the most out of the Kappalite speakers . They go lower and louder than almost any conventional cabinet design and stay clear at crazy volumes all over a stage , not just right in front of the cabinet . They are fairly small , don't weigh much and kick most other cabs to the curb as far as performance .

7. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    OP, You're FEARLESS. :eek: Or at least not fEarful. :smug:

Actually, I've been reading all those threads n posts about em to learn more about them. I still think I'd need two of them for my needs. :eyebrow:

8. Michael Vee

Michael Vee Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Don't question the Greenboy!

<<<<---- greenboy--- <<< or whatever. Ha. That arrow logo is, well, what it is. Not much.

He wanted to be the expert on The Bottom Line for years, and he finally has achieved that cult status here on Talkbass. But his is not the only voice on bass guitar in the world, by any means.

I'm glad the fEarFul cabinet designs work for a lot of people. But that's just a couple of years worth of that, versus 45-50 years' worth of the history of bass guitar and very imperfect designs that made what all of us should recognize as the history of bass guitar. Not perfect, but it was never needed to be perfect- just musical. Knowing music and reaching people is better for 90% of all of us out here than trying to build the perfect bass cabinet. Au Contraire.

9. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars

They're not for everyone, but I think everyone should experience them. I love mine to death. I've never ever played another cab that I thought could do what the fEARful does. If you write off what appears as hype, and pay attention to what people are REALLY saying about how these cabs perform, you can get an idea of what they can do and how they do it. For the record, I've been using a 15/6 for about a year and a half, and I've been using a 15/sub for about a year.

10. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    What are your needs?

11. GrowlerBox

GrowlerBox

Feb 10, 2010
    Nude Zealand
    Weird.

Anyhow, greenboy is quite happy to be questioned concerning any aspect of his design, and makes detailed plans freely available on his website/forum. "Cult" would imply that there is some sort of mystery or secret, but you can't get much more open-source and demystified than that. Check out the designs, ask some questions, and if they look like they'll do what you need them to, then build them or have someone build them for you. Simple.

Funny thing about history, it keeps going. fEARfuls aren't the last cabinet that will ever be designed, and have gone through their own evolution during their brief time on earth.

It might even be possible to pursue musicality and community and have a better bass cabinet. Crazy world.

12. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I am often amused at the backlash against the fEARful designs.

It reminds me of some of those who hated the Beatles when they were the big thing back in the day.

Hating them just because they are popular makes no sense to me.

13. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    The constant putting forward of the false dilemma that if one spends any time thinking about gear then that person can't be any good at playing bass or whatever is kind of ridiculous. Clearly, if you spent any time thinking about what cabinet to use from a technical perspective you aren't a musician.

Ridonkulous.

14. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Everyone has an axe to grind.

15. Is there a fEARful design for a solo 10 or solo 12?

16. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    It's hard to "backlash" against something that I've never played heard or even seen... So while I'm intrigued, I reserve the right to be a skeptic.

17. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY

The fEARful by its nature is a 2 or 3 way design, so there is no 'solo' cab. The only single driver cabs are the 'subs' and they're not intended or designed as stand alone cabinets.

Also, Eminence hasn't released its 3010 or a 3010lf speaker to date, so there's no 10" variant yet. There may be at some time in the future, but more info will be needed (plus, of course a driver).

18. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Nothing wrong with healthy skepticism...as long as its rational. Howzabout looking for a TB get together in your area, or maybe someone is SoCal that has one? Then the guesswork will be over and you can either sustain some interest or walk away?

19. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    There is a builder authorized in the Socal area--might check and see if he's got the first one done yet :)

20. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada