Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Im Sure This Question Has Been Asked A Thousand Times, But I Cant Find An Answer....

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by punkindrublic, Dec 17, 2005.

1. punkindrublic

punkindrublic

Dec 10, 2005
    I have a standard mexican fender p-bass and i want to make some upgrades to it... I can take care of most of it myself with exception to the pickup i want to replace.... Is this easy? Is it easy to mess up? How much would it cost (ballpark) to have a tech do it? Opinions???? I really appreciate it guys....

2. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    You'll need a soldering iron (and the skill to use it) to replace a pickup. If this is the only bass you plan to have changed, then have a tech do it. Maybe $30 labor.. If modding is in your future then get the iron and practice some.
    If a straight up pup swap is all you're doing then put the new pup wires where the original ones were. Make a map of how things look. A p bass is probably the easiest of all wiring diagrams. Check www.guitarelectronics.com if you need to sort things out.

3. yeah i think when i had the pups changed on my mexi p it ran me about $50 to $60---including new strings and setup, etc, that comes with the installation.

4. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Learning to solder and do your own wiring is a pretty good idea. It's an overall handy skill to have, and one that's well worth learning

For about $30 or so, you can probably get a soldering iron kit from Radio Schlock that comes with an iron, some wire cutters, etc., that will be enough to get you started. You can upgrade as you go along.

There's very little to screw up, and nothing that can't be undone. Just don't burn yourself, wear goggles, and work in a well-ventilated area! As mentioned, the single-pickup P-Bass setup is the simplest of all wiring setups, so it should be a breeze. A simple pickup swap is... well... simple! :D

If you decide to go this route, search the forums for tips on soldering, or you can post again or even PM me.