1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I'm surprised the Ampeg SVT-1510 wasn't more popular

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Billy-Bob, Feb 20, 2008.

1. Billy-Bob

Billy-Bob

Nov 4, 2005
    So Cal
    I just picked this cab up via a friend who found this at a small music store. I didn't really know what it was, but was looking for a 15 and told him to go ahead and get it for me, as it sounded interesting. I found it has a 15 inch woofer, 10 inch mid-range (in a separate mini enclosure inside the cab) and a Fostex tweeter. I'm not big on tweeters, but this sounds pretty good if you roll it back to the -6 setting. Anyway, I hooked this up to a V-4 and also to a GB600. I thought this cab sounded really, really good--especially thru the GB head (go figure)! Shook the room enough to re-light a burned out ceiling spotlight, anyway. So, if you get a chance to pick up one of these cabs cheap, I'd give the SVT-1510HE a go, you might be pleasantly surprised! Only bummer, it takes two men and a boy to lift it--typical Ampeg...

Billy-Bob

2. Phil_Collins

Phil_Collins

Feb 18, 2008
    That sounds like exactly what i've been looking for!

3. southshoreconor

southshoreconor

Oct 30, 2007
    The Road
    Endorsing Artist: Fender Musical Instruments, SIT strings
    i almost bought one of these a few months ago for really cheap. really wish i had.

4. takeout

takeout Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Kansas City area
    Weird. I had one, and I thought it was weak. It couldn't keep up with my drummer, let alone the guitarist's half stack.

Then again, we may be arguing application vs. equipment here.

5. Billy-Bob

Billy-Bob

Nov 4, 2005
    So Cal
    Funny, that is exactly what I thought when my friend called me and said he'd found an Ampeg cab I might like at a small music store. The configuration sure seems like a good idea, and I know SWR had some success with this design (which evidently Ampeg sorta copied). The cab is 8 ohm & only rated at 175 watts--I believe this was made to stack under a 4x10, but it really does sound good all by itself. It must have really been a short blip on Ampeg's radar screen, as they have absolutely no info on it.

Billy-Bob

6. Billy-Bob

Billy-Bob

Nov 4, 2005
    So Cal
    Maybe it depends on what you drive it with and what your expectations are? You'd have to put a 4x10 on top to play big venues or to play with a really loud band. It seems like a natural match for the V-4. It really did sound good thru my Genz-Benz--at medium volume, anyway, I was afraid to put to much power thru it. I got this cab for medium-sized club gigs, I think it will be perfect for that.

Billy-Bob

7. That sounds a lot like a SWR Triad.

8. Billy-Bob

Billy-Bob

Nov 4, 2005
    So Cal
    I believe this is Ampeg's response to it, although the info is so spotty on this cab that is just an educated guess.

Billy-Bob

9. pulse

pulse

Apr 10, 2007
    Berlin, Germany
    Hi I am actually honing in on one of these myself at the mo

SO I would need an 8 ohm 4x10 to run it with my SVT II 300 watt all tube

Cheers

James

10. Billy-Bob

Billy-Bob

Nov 4, 2005
    So Cal
    James, you will certainly need something stacked on top of the 1510, I would think a 4x10 would be very cool. That is how my cab was found, underneath a 4x10 way back in the corner of the store!

Billy-Bob

11. Billy-Bob

Billy-Bob

Nov 4, 2005
    So Cal
    I took this out to our outdoor gig last nite and was very impressed with this cab. Why it was not more popular baffles me. Really low rumbling lows, good mids thru the 10 inch and nice (and not harsh) highs with the tweeter rolled off to -6. I received many compliments on my sound--and I enjoyed listening to it myself. If you find one of these at a reasonable price, I'd recommend picking it up. A great cab for medium sized gigs. It is an 8 ohm cab so it took a little bit of power to drive it, but if you need more pop, put a 4x10 on top--I'm sure that would sound amazing at any venue.

Billy-Bob

12. sedan_dad

sedan_dad Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    I had one. It is a good cabinet.
    I sold it to a friend of mine and he loves it.

13. Billy-Bob

Billy-Bob

Nov 4, 2005
    So Cal

Well, anyone who plays a Dano (I have a DC--my band loves it when I bust it out) thru an Ampeg knows whereof he speaks!:)

Billy-Bob

14. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    I've used one a few times before. To quote Randy Jackson, it was just OK for me, dawg. I thought it was this giant cab that didn't do anything that two separate cabs couldn't do. It did sound good, but not good enough to make me want to buy one.