I'm surrounded by idiots!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Im a sock, Jan 6, 2004.

1. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    Does anyone else ever get the feeling they are thinking on a completely different (and higher) level than those people surrounding them?

In my day-to-day life, I can pretty safely say that at least 95% of the people I come in contact with are extremely stupid. It doesnt matter where I am either. Work, School, etc, etc., the world is just full of stupid people. I'm not even that smart, dammit! Sometimes I just want to dope-slap everyone I see and tell them to read a book.

Man, the human race sure can be a depressing subject if you think about it too much. :meh:

I think this started out as a rant, but then became interrupted becuase of extreme sleepiness. Anyways, am I alone here, or are there actual sane, smart people on this Earth who feel the same way I do?
  2. I know...it's so tough being smart!
  3. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    "Who hired this idiot!?"
  4. so let me get this straight...

your saying that you are in fact a sock, and you are surrounded by idiots?

hmm, very thought provoking

5. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Or it could be that there's only 5% that's more full of themselves than you. ;)
  6. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
  7. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Or maybe 95% of us walk around wondering why you're such an idiot :)
  8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Well, it could be worse.

You could be living in a dog-eat-dog world, and wearing Milk Bone underwear!

That wasn't my joke. I "borrowed" that one from Norm on Cheers.

9. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    I know what you mean. Having worked in the service industry I've come across every facet of human stupidity. I know for a fact I'm smarter than the average shmuck, but I still try to stay humble.:rolleyes:
  10. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I think most of us probably start off with the assumption that however smart we are must be about average. And then we encounter other people and adjust up or down.

The average has skewed WAY OFF for me. Now I think I am probably average for my job field, and far smarter than most of the people I have to deal with professionally.

Sound all full of myself? stuck up? megalmaniacal?

Not so much if you remember that most of the people I see professionally, I see because they have just had one of the dumbest moments of their entire life. "Trauma is a syndrome of poor choices." That means if someone is bleeding, someone did something dumb. Not necessarily the patient, but someone.

My favorite to remember right this minute is the guy that found an abandoned toilet outside and got his hand stuck waaaaaaaaay in it.:p He was elbow-deep in a toilet that he found dumped by the side of a road. What could possibly make a guy say to himself "Hey, that commode ain't where they usually are. I bet there's something good inside it if'n I reach far enough!"...ideas, anybody?
  11. Now that I don't work for Guitar Center anymore, I find that I am in less contact with idiots that I was before. And now that I am in a Psychology class again, we have idiots brought before us so we can learn from their idiocy.

It's fun.:D

Rock on

12. Noooahhhhh, you is duupid.... YOU IZZ !!! KNOT MIE
  13. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    The Idiots Are Taking Over
  14. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
  15. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    take v. took, (tk) tak·en, (tkn) tak·ing, takes
    v. tr.
    1. To get into one's possession by force, skill, or artifice, especially:
    a. To capture physically; seize: take an enemy fortress.

b. To seize with authority; confiscate.

c. To kill, snare, or trap (fish or game, for example).

d. Sports & Games. To acquire in a game or competition; win: took the crown in horseracing.

e. Sports & Games. To defeat: Our team took the visitors three to one.

f. Sports. To catch (a ball in play), especially in baseball: The player took it on the fly.

the actual line is from a NOFX song (The Idiots Are Taking Over) and i thought it was somewhat appropriate
  16. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I was questioning the present tense.
  17. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Being an idiot is such a relative thing. Just when I think I am smart, something happens to enlighten me on the how someone can see me as an idiot.

For example, I walk into the flower shop to buy some flowers for my wife and look around with a perplexed look on my face. I begin to ask them dumb questions and they say to themselves, "What an idiot". But, if those flower people went into Guitar Center looking to buy a upright bass for their husband, I'm sure the salesman probably thinks "What an idiot". Then the salesman at the music shop goes to Comp USA looking for a video card where the monitors are, and the techie clerk probably thinks "What an idiot". Then the techie clerk tries to impress a potential date by bragging about his proficiency in Diablo II and the girl thinks "What an idiot". Then I see this girl drunk at one of my gigs, and she requests "Brown Eyed Girl" and I think "What an idiot". In this vicious cycle, you can see how 95% of people are idiots. The cycle never ends. Moral of the story is that no-one knows everything about everything.

Don't we all like to think we are smarter than others. Sometimes it's true, other times it's just different spheres of knowledge.

I'm an idiot, she's an idiot, would you like to be an idiot too?
    Chorus of the catchy jingle begins
  18. "I'm surrounded by freakin' idiots !"
  19. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I didn't come by this handle randomly:D.

You have a point Smash. But sometimes the ability to think and reason can be affected by the knowledge we have. Otherwise, everything is just pure intuition.

But, I do agree that thinking and reasoning is a better indication of intelligence than knowledge.
  20. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.

You are a teacher, aren't you?