Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I'm taking a lesson.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Munjibunga, Jan 5, 2006.

1. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    After all these years, I promised myself I would take some bass lessons. So last month I got to sit in for a few songs with the band at my company's Holiday Party. Their bass player is a total animal (his name's Rod Ratelle). He gave me his card, and it said he gives lessons, so I told him I'd hook up with him after the first of the year to set up a time. So I called him today, and my first lesson ever will be next Thursday (not tomorrow).

I've been a musician for almost 50 years, so I can read music and I know a lot of theory, so we're going to work on technique and maybe some jazz licks. I also want to expand on my walking lines. Also, he can check me for bad habits and see if I can improve overall. Most of all, though, I want to learn how to do that typewriter crap so I can go down to GC and wank with the 14-year-olds.

2. Derio

Derio

Dec 6, 2005
    Saint George
    Hah, I'm not nearly experienced as you - only been playing for 7 months and am entirely self taught. I mainly do a lot of simple playing around on the bass, and don't have a set-in-stone practice plan. My main source of practice right now would be the band I am working in, which is slowly helping me with music theory and actual technique, but I recently decided that I would definitely be able to improve much quicker if I were to be able to sit down with someone professional and have things gone over w/ me. It just seems that I've hit a wall and am currently going over it very very slowly - a push in the direction might be wonderful.

So, sounds like a good idea to me - good luck!

3. Does he give a total hyper elite member discount?

4. That is cool Munji. most ofthe people I hang with are too full of themselves to admit that you can always learn more or improve with lessons. I still love taking lessons and look forward to them every second week.
    However, I did not know you need lessons to Wank like a 14 year old :bag:

5. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    excellent decision. its hard for me to understand your situation because i've only been playing for 18 months.

however, i have been taking lessons for about 3-4 months and i have improved IMMENSELY :) :) :) :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: .

i really can't stress the importance of lessons for anyone who wants to improve every aspect of their playing. and this applies especially to newbies like myself.

i'm sure you'll learn a thing or two about improving you techniques munji; good luck mate :)

6. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Cool... bet you don't regret it. Best thing I did after 20+ years of playing. What did I get? Exactly what you are looking for... banishment of bad habits and refinement of technique (I've forgotten what tendonitis feels like) and greatly enhanced capacity to wank. Of course, my highly esteemed instructor is a devout anti-wanker. I left his tutelage with just enough new chops to be annoying, which is my fault and not his. :D

7. That is great Munji. The instruments I want most to take technique lessons for are bass and steel guitar. But I don't know anybody I want to take the lessons from in my small rural community. I take guitar and theory lessons every once in a while from an 80 year old former big band guitarist and theory lessons from a retired keyboard music professor. And I love analyzing a musical piece with my wife. Hope you have fun and your mind is opened to new ideas. I love discovering a new perspective on something after 52 years of playing. Hey, you're already playing a Walter Woods and a Bergie cab. :hyper:

8. DeepCalls2Deep

DeepCalls2Deep

Jun 25, 2005
    East Texas
    good for you! :)

I need leassons as well :(

9. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Enjoy and all the best with it.

10. DaftCat

DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    Munjibunga,

Good on you. Like yourself, I wish to take lessons. I am self-taught. There are only twoe bassists in Calgary(that I found) that I am interested in learning from. I am picky. :)

Question for you... Why now? Were you as picky as myself?
    You did say you promised yourself, but why? :p

Just wondering...Thanks,

DCat

11. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Yes. Standard fee plus 15 percent. Not bad, eh?

12. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Munj, what you really need is 6 hours at a reputable day spa.... it'll get rid of your stretch marks and do wonders for your wrinkles... :D

In re the lessons... I think ALL pros should take lessons, we all can learn a thing or two (or many things, in my case).. :)

13. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Well, I've been a musician for 50 years, but I started playing bass in 1977, and I'm self-taught. I've watched a lot of videos (performance, not instructional) of bass players like Nathan East, who have superb technique. Then I've tried to emulate them in the way they play, both physically and musically. A lot of pros have atrocious technique, and I've worked hard to avoid playing like them. So hopefully, I don't have too much remedial work to do.

I have in the back of my mind that I may be able to get my skills up to where I could go up a notch or two in the level of musicians I play with. I've played in some pretty decent bands, but take a look at this video. This is one of the five or six groups that my teacher plays in. It'd be cool just to be a sub for a group like this. I wouldn't be able to keep the schedule. They probably get $5K to $10K per gig. I could live with that.

14. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Munji, I'm glad your taking lessons! Just ask your teacher to Tab out that cool Blink 182 Bass line and the four notes in that Nickleback tune! :D Actually I did check out that video, I'd like to sub for that band too, just to stand behind that lead singer. :p Anyway good luck, I'm sure if I took lessons I could unlearn all my bad habits in about ten years!

15. your a sick man munji :D

16. DaftCat

DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    Munjibunga,

I would find it hard to believe you wouldn't have those kinda chops(in the video) if you played since 1977. If you want to hone your technique from lessons then all the power to ya.

Couldn't tell if the bassist was singing or not. Loved his tone but I never thought anything really tasty(well beside the hottie) until toward the end of the video. :)

I've never had the opportunity(lack of words) to not sing in any band I've joined. Once band mates find out you are a natural harmony vocalist they don't want you to shut up.

This might appear odd, but let us know what "simple things" you never got from being self-taught that you learned from lessons. I am in a similar boat as you, just several nautical miles behind.

DCat,

17. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    That video was pretty tight :eek: :)

18. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia

me too. looks like he was using a bn5.

19. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Thanks for your thoughts. I have a lot of skills that make a good bass player ... excellent meter, a very good ear, easy to get along with (shut up), punctuality, team player. The least of these is technique. Keep in mind that when I assess my own capabilities, I compare myself to the likes of Nathan East and many of the animals that hang out here. So compared to them, I fairly suck (in my eyes, at least).

When I told my Director of Business Development (a guitar player himself) that I was going to take lessons from this guy, he said, "What? You should be giving him lessons." I took the compliment, but I am a bass player (with over 10,000 posts) and I can hear who's good. I want to develop some other techniques besides fingerstyle in addition to beefing up my jazz chops. Jazz may be my very next phase, and those jazz cats don't countenance wankers.

I haven't been this excited about something in a long time (including the receipt of the Sadowsky). I'm open to whatever comes of it, and if it doesn't work, at least I will have given it a try. It could be anything from the opening of the door to the next level up, to a gargantuan boondoggle.

As far as Rod's licks in the video, he's playing pop covers. He's not really as free as he is on his jazz gigs. Trust me, he has the chops.

Oh yeah, I started playing bass in '77, but I had a 12-year hiatus, and I've never really challenged myself.

20. Munji,

I started playing in 1974 (or thereabouts), then stopped playing regularly when I got married ('81), and completely when we had our 1st child ('87). I was living in L.A. at the time, then moved to Vancouver in 1990. On a visit to L.A. in '97, I ran into a drummer friend of mine and he invited me to one of his gigs. I met his 26 year old bassist at the gig and we talked about not much other than bass over a few beers during breaks. We ended up at the bassists home after the gig where I marvelled at his collection of basses. I picked up one of them and felt the electricity flowing through my veins as soon as I hit a note. Wow! Anyhoo, to make a long story short, the guy gave me a few impromptu lessons over the next couple of days... some technique, some jazz improv... and man... I've been playing the bass (again) ever since. (Bought my first post-hiatus bass in L.A. after my 2nd lesson with him). Nothing like a few lessons to get an old fogey bassist groovin' again.

Good on ya!

X