1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Im taking a vow of silence.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by tastybasslines, Jul 10, 2012.

1. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Banned

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sorry pacman...you got there fast! Accidentally hit post...Anyway, here goes.

In my sobriety journey now at 7 months, I've been searching for true peace of mind and it has eluded me. Last week I said something very hurtful to someone I care about without thinking. Oftentimes, I don't need to comment on something but still do.

So, I've decided to take a 3 day vow of silence to see what I learn from it. Its going to be hard, but I think it will help me achieve an inner peace and a way to calmness and harmony.

I will carry around only a small notepad and pencil for needed communication only and won't be posting here a this is a form of talking. I hope to learn alot from it. Sort of like fasting for the mind - a way to clean my brain. Ill report back on what the experience was like when I am done.

Anyone ever take a vow of silence? If so, what was it like?

2. bigmuff113

bigmuff113

Jul 4, 2012
    San Antonio
    I don't talk much, but it did worry a few of my friends when I went silent.

3. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Banned

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm thing of wearing a small sign around my neck explaining what I am doing so I don't have to constantly repeat myself.

4. I have gone a week without talking. My singing voice was giving me trouble, and I know resting your voice is sometimes the best and only cure short of medications and heroic surgeries.

I live in a very busy household with three teenage boys, a wife, dogs, etc.

I made it clear to everyone that I would not be speaking for a week and I needed their cooperation. I used a note pad a lot.

Everyone cooperated beautifully and my voice bounced back healthy and strong.

Spiritual benefits? I dunno...

5. Drop-D

Drop-D

Mar 23, 2009
    Kansas City
    Finding yourself is a tough journey. I wish you all the best.

6. bigmuff113

bigmuff113

Jul 4, 2012
    San Antonio
    That's why I stopped too

7. bigmuff113

bigmuff113

Jul 4, 2012
    San Antonio
    Or keep a post it handy that says that

8. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Banned

Aug 15, 2010
    Honestly, I used to have that problem as well up about 10 years or so.

Long story short, I never applied the filter that most inherently had ; to double-check in their minds what they're about to say before saying it to see if it was hurtful of inappropriate.

But I worked at it and developed the filter over time. Nowadays, I don't have to worry because the filter is there and works automatically, like a verbal reflex. But that took some time. It has been extremely beneficial and I highly recommend you apply yourself as vigorously as possible towards accomplishing that goal.

9. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Banned

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm in total agreement. I've changed toward that direction and made strides but I'd like to step it up. It has gotten me in trouble before.

10. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

I spent a week in silence. Would have been better without the structure and other people engaged in the exercise.

11. I get the silent treatment all the time. I also give it, but no one seems to notice.

12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I did just now.

Whew! Glad that's over.

13. I did that once.

What's the best bass for silence?

14. ^ Bravo. Well played.

15. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Oct 20, 2007
    Have you apologized, yet?

16. This one.

17. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Seems an overly- dramatic response to a common mistake. Apologize and move on.

18. Jools4001

Jools4001 Supporting Member

I don't think that would work for me. I'd be just as likely to break out the notepad, and the red pen, then scream silent obsceneties at people in big angry capitals.

The best way is an apology and see what you learn from that.

19. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Instead of a sign perhaps just write it down on the first page of your notepad. If someone asks, you can flip the page open like a badge.

A sign will just call attention to what youre doing, and may have adverse effects to your cause.

20. XtheDeadPawn

XtheDeadPawn

May 24, 2008
    Texas
    I do that all the time.

Taking silent vows but, I always end up breaking them my problem is when something makes me laugh I HAVE to repeat the phrase that made me laugh. I can't help it.

For example I was watching Batman the old 60's live action series on the HUB I saw the Penguin waddle into his lair and squaked like a penguin. I immediately laughed for a good bit then gave my horrible imitation. I just can't do it.

However I've learned through my many attempts (my longest was about 12 hours)
    These things happen:

You start to really pick up on body language more the deeper you go

You start to not even want to talk after awhile as you'll find out your brain is faster than your hand and it takes a patient person to wait it out as you write down your reply

The above is great because it shows you who your friends are and without your words you'll have deeper conversations as you really have to think about what you want to say.

I am no expert Hell you'll be teach me things when you post.
    I find it's easy the first 12 hours ;)