Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I'm the bassist for a large chuch, and we have gone BACK to using headphones for moni

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by shackleford, Feb 21, 2006.

1. shackleford

shackleford

Jan 2, 2006
    tors. What is the absolute best model of headphones, or even earbuds, to use and that will give me the best low end reproduction.

2. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Is this the right place for this thread?

I find Sennheiser to be good.

3. KayCee

KayCee

Oct 4, 2004
    Shawnee, KS
    I was on a gig that required us to use headphones for about a year, and found that earbuds really didn't reproduce low end the way that I wanted to hear it.

After some research, I discovered SONY MDR-V700 headphones, which are made for use by DJ's. I believe that they cost around $140. They have larger drivers than standard headphones, and reject outside noise quite well. However, they're silver in color, which makes them pretty noticable visually.

4. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    SONY MCD780! i can't say for sure if these are the "best" but they are the most comfortable headphones you will EVER use. here is a hi-res photo to give you an idea. http://www.eukasa.pl/photo/14612.jpg

they are a bit hard to find these days, so they will probably cost you at least $200

5. OrionManMatt

OrionManMatt

Feb 17, 2004
    Houston
    If you're wanting an in-ear monitor, your best bet is to look for earphones with at least dual drivers. Of course you can spend tons and tons of money on these things but if you're wanting something in-ear, I would look into the new line of Ultimate Ears super.fi 5EB.

Pair it with something like this:

http://www.headphone.com/products/headphone-amps/the-mobile-line/headroom-airhead-clear.php

They'll sound aaawwwwesome. And you won't look like a DJ.

6. OrionManMatt

OrionManMatt

Feb 17, 2004
    Houston
    If he's asking for the absolute best cans, while that model is no slouch, there are better Sennheiser's for what he's asking.

Under $250:
    - Sennheiser HS 595 (really even response, much stronger than the HD280 in bass)
    - AKG K 601 (really even response)
    - AKG K 26 P (great noise reduction, big bass, cheap, foldable, light)

I can't stress enough how BIG of an improvement a good headphone amp is. You will wonder how you ever listened to music without one. I'm still a big advocate of in-ears, though. Cans are just too clunky for me.

7. T-Funk

T-Funk

Jul 2, 2005
    USA
    Sony MDR-V900 headphones, which are designed for monitoring, are pretty good as well.

Ted

8. steve_man

steve_man

May 15, 2002
    I'm curious about this too.

As for the headphones amp I'm unsure of any that you could clip to your belt. Immediately I'd think Sadowsky outboard preamp but I don't think that is going to give you the results that a standalone headphones amp is going to give you. But I could be wrong.

As for the headphones I do not fancy big honkin clunkers bopping back and forth as I'm trying to groove on stage. Again this is my opinion and everybody's needs are a little different. So I've been wondering about these ...
    http://www.shurestore.com/earphones/eseries_e3c.html

9. whitedk57

whitedk57

May 5, 2005
    Franklin, NC
    What was the idea behind going back to headphones? Just curious...

10. CetiAlphaVI

CetiAlphaVI

May 27, 2005
    Midwest
    The recommendation for the HD280 model is because the cans are a closed design unlike the high end models which IIRC are all open air.

All things being equal, a good headphone amp and well fitting earbuds would be my choice in this situation, too.

11. barthanatos

barthanatos Insert witty comment here

Feb 8, 2006
    South Carolina
    http://www.headphone.com/ will tell you everything that you need to know. I've got a pair of Etymotic ER4S's from them, and they're pretty awesome. I've also got a pair of Sennheiser HD600s that I use for listening... but that's an audiophile can, not a live monitoring headphone. You'll probably want something that has a sealed design. Earbuds offer this, especially the Etymonics - ~30 dB of noise reduction, so you don't have to have them turned up as loud anyway... and that willl save your hearing a bit. Also, they are super high fidelity.
    Depending on how resistive your headphones are (my Sennheisers are 600 ohms), you may want a headphone amp. I have the "Total Airhead" from headphone.com. It's very nice.

12. shackleford

shackleford

Jan 2, 2006
    Eliminate stage monitor noise.

Can we get a consensus on the best one? I think right now I'm using a $40 Audio Technica. :oops:

SONY MCD780
    Sennheiser HS 595
    SONY MDR-V700

13. gvr4wd

gvr4wd

May 15, 2001
    Just to give you an idea of earbuds vs. headphones. I've got Shure earbuds (>$100) and just bought a $7 headset from local computer store. The $7 one sounds much better! but can't stand wearing it.....

14. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I play in a group that uses the Avion system and while i think the system is good i do not use any headphones or earbuds; i just cannot get the right sound but then that goes for any headphones for me. Even in the studio i do not use headphones.