1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I'm the only one in the band who learns their parts ahead of time...

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by SevenJacks, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Anyone else hear the "oh dude haven't had a chance to listen to that yet..."

Sent out the email WITH a youtube link AND a link to the Ultimate-Guitar chord/lyrics page 2 days ago...

:rollno:

2. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

All the time in my band! SMH!

3. GypsyMan

GypsyMan

Jun 30, 2011
    Texas
    2 days ago? OMG TWO DAYS AGO?!

[​IMG]

4. Skygonzo

Skygonzo

Jul 8, 2012
    Leave. Leave now. No reasonable human being should be put through the anguish of dealing with irresponsible band members. Make better use of your time by playing along with your iPod....those guys always know their parts.

5. Big Brother

Big Brother

Feb 13, 2011
    San Diego
    Roving sub-demon
    You have so far to go Paduan.

My (now ex) band leader sent out an email at 3PM of the afternoon of our 7PM practice with the list of songs we were going to work on that day. Long story short, I didn't attend that practice, or any other.

NONE SHALL ESCAPE THIS CAMP!

6. But they do eventually learn them, right?

The bandleader of a band I do some gigs with is a booking machine. He has a practice room, trailer, and PA. He'll hand out CD's, and when we come to practice to work them up the first thing out of his mouth is "allright, how does this one go?". He has never learned anything beyond the basic chord changes in a song, and often gets them wrong. If there's an intro that doesn't call for his instrument, he still starts with the intro, banging on the basic chord changes. Signature licks? Forget it. It's clear that to him, learning a song consists of writing down the basic changes in a song and he's done. And worse, he's a novice sax player and insists on sometimes playing sax, usually the same lick, regardless of the song. He often plays all over my vocals and it's hard as hell to sing a song with someone playing a sax at dissonant intervals. In spite of this, he books the heck out of the band and gets repeat bookings. In this economy with gigs few and far between, there's something to be said for that. I wish he'd be happy being the manager and booking agent, and leave the playing to the rest of the band. He's very good and booking the band. I keep telling myself that I'm not emotionally or artistically invested in this band in any way, other than being a sideman. I show up, help set up and tear down, play, take my money, and go home. Whatchoogonnado? :confused:

7. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    Yeah, that was my reaction, too. Hard to believe that one's bandmates might have lives outside the band, huh? :rollno:

8. baileyboy

baileyboy

Aug 12, 2010
    I go through this all the time. I've probably learned 15 to 20 tunes that my band doesn't play. Although I've logged many hours working up bass lines for songs we end up not playing, I figure it's good practice and learning the songs only adds to the collection I have down, at least in one key signature.

My pet peeve is when we don't play a song because ONE member hasn't learned their part. Bands are only as good as their weakest link.

Despite this, we play a great variety of songs and are pretty tight, so I keep my mouth shut and focus on the positive aspects of the band.

9. KenHR

KenHR

Jul 28, 2010
    Waterford, NY
    That's annoying. Band rehearsal is not the place to learn songs.

If the band has a set date to rehearse and has decided to run through new songs on that date, it's everyone's responsibility to learn them ahead of time. If they can't for whatever reason, they should say so ahead of time, and have the songs down for the next rehearsal.

10. It blows, and is a huge time waster.

But if that's the established norm, and you're the odd man out, good luck changing things.

11. Raudsarw

Raudsarw

Feb 26, 2012
    If they can learn on the fly, it isn't that much of a problem. I've created my own basslines to a lot of songs in this way, I think it adds some flavor.

12. boynamedsuse

boynamedsuse Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    I am starting to suspect ;) that the average player seldom practices--guitar players especially in my experience.

There are a few of us who like to prepare. The key is finding those who do prepare and developing a working relationship with them. It may take a while.

13. jonas_24112

jonas_24112

Jul 11, 2011
    Well, I think 2 days notice is a little short. One week is usually the norm for my band and it's usually decided at the current practice what we will learn for the next practice.

That being said, we have a rhythm guitarist who never learns his parts before hand. The lead guitarist has to take all of our time to show the rhythm player what to play.

This has lead to two things:

1. I refuse to play any new song unless all players know at least 85% of their part. If I see the rhythm player watching the LG or me, then I quit playing and tell him it's apparent he did not study the song and I refuse to play any more of it until he goes home and learns it.

2. We are currently seeking another rhythm guitarist.

14. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo
    It's funny, whenever I audition for a band, there is one guy who seems to be the weak link. I keep mum at first while I try to feel out the situation and invariably find out he either books the band, owns the PA/rehearsal studio and van or both.

15. Bredian

Bredian

Apr 22, 2011
    Old band, I had to learn 4 hours of sets, classic rock in about a week, experienced old school BL/singer/ rhythm guitarist (reformed acoustic)

But, he wouldn't study new tunes,was unprepared, we spent 7+ hours over 2 months learning "Layla" it was torture.

HOW IT SHOULD BE

New band, "here's a list" approx 7 hours of "rehearsal" and we were ready for a 3 hour gig. (actually we rehearse 2 hours weekly with IEMs, electronic drum kit, live rehearsal every 2 months)

We don't rehearse the week after a gig, due to family and full schedules. We'll focus on 2-6 new tunes for a few weeks until learned or dumped.

16. Couldn't have said it better myself.

17. Mike M.

Mike M.

Feb 14, 2010
    I get that with the church crowd. For the last two times I played, the leaders of those particular teams sent out the songs....4 songs each time, two weeks in advance. I work a lot of hours and as a result, have no time to practice the songs Monday thru Friday. So I pound on those songs when the weekend arrives. I get to practice fully prepared and everybody else is fumbling. When I say fumbling I mean they got the charts in front of them, sometimes they can barely play and they get lost. In some instances I can tell when someone barely even listened to the songs from what they're playing.

I know life comes at you fast and how other things get in the way, especially when you have children. But man...you had two weeks and you can barely play it?

I know this doesn't matter to the Lord, but it drives me nuts because I think the congregation deserves better than what we sometimes give them.

18. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    This issue drives me nuts. I wish people would understand that practice and rehearsal are two different things. It seems to be more of a problem with the guys I gig with close to my own age (50). The younger musicians I gig with (in their early twenties) are much more conscientious and professional in this respect, but of course that may very well be just them and not anything remotely to do with their age. And the singer in one of my bands is closer to my age and she's really good about this.

19. wilberthenry

wilberthenry

May 12, 2009
    In my last band I would learn the recorded version only to have the other guys decide to skip parts the deemed too difficult. Who needs that long intro to Shine on You Crazy Diamond" anyway. I bailed and don't regret it.

20. Don't worry, one of my bands is the same way. Usually i play bass, but for this band, i play the guitar. Our bassist never knows his parts, is always high, and once during one of our practices, he was Xbox live. We actually had to have another guy learn the bass parts (which were super easy nirvana songs) for the gig in a week.