I'm the only one of my friends who thinks Tool is just OK

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Matt Till, Jul 13, 2004.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

My friends seriously listen to Tool (or APC) every day, and that's about it. I keep trying to force feed them other bands, but they just don't take as well. And I'm not that impressed.

Tool is just lacking something, I just get bored of them before an album is over. I didn't realize this until after I saw them live and just went, "Eh, they were OK." And that's been my opinion of Tool ever since.

Undertow and Opiate are still pretty good, but now that they are "progressive" :oops: yawn.

But I'm not a "it's not good unless it rocks" type, so I don't mind that they're laid back. I kinda dig APCs new album. I just don't get whey they are such a big deal.
  2. CKYBassist

Nov 28, 2002
    I agree, Tool is nowhere near as great as most people make them out to be. I also get real tired of hearing people claim that their singer is some kind of God.
  3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

The trick to sounding godlike: A sustained scream at least once every song. :meh:

I do like his voice, but the best? Nope.
  4. I bet you don't shop at Hot Topic either. CONFORMIST!!!!!
  5. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Matt, you are not alone. I think Tool is ok. If they weren't interesting simply because they sound a little different than the mainstream swill pumping the airwaves they wouldn't even be ok in my book. Bleh.

Oh yeah, and beyond the music...I hate the production and general sound of their albums. Double bleh.
  6. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    from what I've heard of them I didn't even really like them, Can smeoen explain what is so "great" about them... Maybe I just haven't given them a big enough chance.
  7. Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    When I first heard Opiate and Undertow, I was absolutely blown away. I got Aenima, and was still really impressed. I've listened to Lateralus about 3 times, I think.

They're progressive? Yup. Progressively less entertaining.
  8. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    After hearing quite a bit of Tool I borrowed Lateralus and Aenima in an effort to try and find what everyone digs so much. I failed miserably and didn't even burn the discs. No thanks. Diff strokes for diff folks I suppose.
  9. Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    I really like Maynard's voice. Right, they don't make it easy to like them, but I keep on going back for more for some reason.
  10. DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    i am one of those people that just thinks Tool and APC are great bands. But i dont sit and listen to their albums everyday either.
    everytime a new album of theirs comes out, it actually takes about a month for me to start liking it.

it's all about personal taste, but what i gather is that Tool preaches this whole "dont be a sheep" type of attitude to its listeners and i guess a lot of them take it a bit seriously and consider Tool to be gods so that they (the listeners) dont appear to be sheep. how was that for convoluted?

it seems that the bands that have something genuine to say rarely make it to the radio.
  11. Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    i don't really care that much for tool either.
    i think APC are fantasmogorical but when my boyfriend plays tool i'm just like "meh" :meh:
  12. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Tool is okay, but not great. They do seem to be standing up to the test of time and I respect them for that. But, I hear what you're saying - Tool fans are nuts, at least the ones I've known. They really get into that band and they put the band & their front man on a pedestal. They are a devoted bunch of fans, them Tool fans. My opinion on it all is that Tool is a band that appeals to people who kinda think that they want something different, maybe a little "alternative" or something kinda hard and metal - but really they are in denial and really want something mainstream, they just don't know it. So Tool fit's the bill. Tool is also popular with people who like to do drugs (smoke pot) and think that it makes them deep philosophical beatniks. All of this of course is IMO.
  13. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I don't know that I would have come up with the word "fantasmogorical" - but I'm glad you did. :)
  14. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Opiate = good
    Undertow = great
    Aeniema = great (but lacking guts)
    Lateralus = not good

Tool fans = meatheads

Amazing that a band that tries to promote a cerebral image and individual thinking gets so many clods following them. Anybody who booed Meshuggah or King Crimson when they toured with them fall into the meathead category. How can you like Tool and not be openminded to those bands? Oh, that's right. Tool is the best band in the world and there's no reason to listen to anybody else.
  15. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    k ill play devils advocate. I think tool as a band are gods. No one except danny is really that incredible, but as a band they are amazing. APC is another story, different band, different music, and every member is godlike. Tool is one of the most impressive, tight sounding, heavy bands ive ever heard on album or heard live. Tool is hands down the best band ive seen live, and ive seen alot of shows working for a record label. They are dynamic and their albums always bring a few suprises. I dont think maynard is all that though. And after saying that i can totally see where everyone is comming from. They arent everyones cup of tea, if you like that kind of stuff they are the best cup of tea on the block IMHO. I really like less understood music. My fav band is probably at At the Drive-In, and i totally dont expect most people to get that band. To each its own. Its music, its art, maynard himself wouldnt expect everyone to get his music or like it. Thats the best part of music not everones supposed to like it.
  16. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

When I saw Tool, I could have swore I was at a frat party (sorry frat boys)
  17. Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    I find Maynard's voice kinda soothing...if I want to fall asleep, I put on Thirteenth Step...as for Tool...They're in the same boat as Dream Theater and Rush...I know they're good at what they do, but I freakin' hate 'em.
  18. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

No they aren't. I know you are looping them with "talented bands you hate" but they are on a completely different cruise line.
  19. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    No Matt, I'm afraid Joey12345 was correct - they are in the same boat, except Rush isn't in there becasue they are really good and Joey was just mistaken about that. Oh, and there is somebody else in that boat who was increadibly talented but I just don't enjoy his style - but I don't have the guts to post his name here at TB as he is considered God to some (if not most) bass players.

I don't like Jaco - ssshhhhh... don't tell anybody

20. vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Undertow was AWESOME and I like Tool mostly for that record, (opiate, aenima both decent as well). Lateralus was insanely bad... hello same riff for 8 minutes. I've never seen them live.. doubt I will. I like what Eyescream said... they're "Progressively less entertaining." That is very accurate.