Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

i'm thinkin acme

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jobu3, Jun 19, 2002.

1. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    i think i'm gonna trade my genz-benz 410xb for an acme low b2 (4 ohm). i want smaller and more hi-fi. i love the genz but it is so darn huge...should i do it? i have an swr bass 350 which is the bare minimum for the cab. i will probably upgrade that too in the next year or so... any comments greatly appreciated.

2. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    One Low B-2 is not going to put out nearly the volume of your old 4x10. A Low B-4 might.

3. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    If you want great sound at a moderate (at best) volume go for the Acme. They sound fantastic BUT if you need volume go for some of the new 112s out there (EA CXL112, Epifani T112, etc.). With an efficiency of only 93db the Acme isn't going to give you nearly the volume of virtually any other cab out there.
    Just my opinion as a former owner of two B-2s.

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I agree. The GB 410XB puts out a truckload of sound. The Acme won't be able to approach that volume... it's not as loud as the 210 XB IIRC. Could be important.

5. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I think that you should hook me up with that XB. I've got a couple of it's younger siblings that it probably misses a great deal. ;)

6. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    fantastic tone but just not enough volume and we are not a loud band. I was powering it with an SM400, I had to crank the hell out of it. Still couldn't be heard and all I got was amp clipping distortion. Now if Andy could get the sensitivity Db's to about 100 or 102 I'd buy one in a heart beat. I sold it and bought an EA vl210.

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

You're not related to "Wily Coyote" are you? ;)

8. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    thanks guys! i knew it was inefficient but had no idea that it was THAT bad... i am in a band that is just starting to get back on our feet so we will be playing small-medium sized gigs. i just wanted something that is going to fit in most places but is 4 ohms. i love 212's but i'd rather get a close to even trade on the XB and that isn't going to happen on any epifani bergi's or ag's...money is tight!