Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I'm thinking about an upgrade; recommendations, anyone?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Davis Goertzen, Aug 15, 2004.

1. Hello there, I have a Peavey Grind BXP V, and nearly all the time I play it through my brother's TKO 115, by Peavey. While I would highly recommend the bass I have now as a beginner's bass, I've played bass long enough now to have a clearer picture of the sound I would like to have. I would like a bass that has a more focused tone, and more of an natural, wood-type sound, especially on the warmer settings. On my bass, the bass string seems to a very loose, undefined tone. I've considered a Dingwall(too expensive if new), and I've thought about getting a Peavey Cirrus V, but have no idea what they are like, not having played one. Does anyone know what the Cirrus BXP's are like? I would prefer not to shell out any more than $2000 Cd. at the most, and that for a new one. I'm just looking for input, things to look for or stay away from, etc.,etc. Thanks, everyone.

Davis Goertzen

2. Davis-
    since you mention clarity and focused tone, i would recommend you reconsider the Dingwall. You don't have to buy new, and really-are Afterburner I basses more than 2000CDN? There not even close to that price here in the USA. Also they pop up frequently on Ebay. These basses sound and play great. they also have the articulate and focused tone your asking about.
    my opinion
    frank

3. Yes, Frank, thanks for the input. Actually, another one of my brothers, has an Afterburner I fivestring, and you're right, it does have great articulation, and when he plays it the tone's great; but when he has let me play it, it seems to sound a little to metallic for me. But hey, that could be the new strings, my technique, bass and/or amp settings, or any combination of the above. Another thing, the neck gets almost too wide for me past the 7th fret or so, but I do tend not to put my thumb under the neck much. You're also right about the price-Lincoln (my brother) bought this thing for $1700 new. Ah well, maybe I should just find a way past these things. I don't know.

4. Please people, help me out on this!! Does anyone know if the Cirrus BXP's would fit my discription, or maybe a Fury? Please, I don't have a chance to try out very many; I'm just looking for more input. Thanks.

Davis Goertzen

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The Fury quilt top with the VFL humbuckers definitely would. I don't know anything at all about the Cirrus BXP. Never seen one, and can't find any info online. But if it has the Cirrus VFL humbuckers, it should work too. But if I were you, I would get a used USA Cirrus. You can get them used at great prices. Let somebody else take the resale hit!

6. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    Get a Ric......Get a Ric............Get a Ric....... :hyper:

7. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    + 1 Dingwall - I got mine for $1500 with hard shell case in January, so thats well within your budget it looks like.

8. Pardon my ignorance, but what does "Ric" stand for? :confused: Something tells me that just CAN'T be its full name. Also embellisher, does the Fury V have a tight-sounding B-string? That would be pretty important to me. Oh, and Juneau, thanks for telling me; please note however, that I live in Canada, so I shell out more actual $$$ than you. Thanks for all your input, guys.

Davis Goertzen

9. embellisher

Davis, it's not the tightest I have played, but it's very good for a mid priced 34" B string.

10. Prahainspring

Prahainspring

Oct 22, 2002
    New Jersey
    Rickenbacker. Great basses.

11. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Go out and hit the music stores and play everything you can get your hands on. Take your time and sooner or later you will find THE bass. Since this is your first step up, try it before you buy it; you can avoid a lot of remorse that way.

12. It is good to go out and play a lot of different basses, particularly if you are picky about the tone or the feel of the neck or whatever.

13. Yeah, hitting the music stores would be a great idea; however, I live 30 min. out of a moderately sized city that only has one somewhat smallish music store (although the owner is trying to expand, I think).
    Does anyone have views on the new Cirrus BXP series? Thanks, guys.

Davis Goertzen

14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    It's OK. You don't want a Rickenbacker anyway. One-trick pony.

15. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle

First - have you played that bass through any other amps? My first description of a TKO would not be "focused" or "natural".

16. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    You may have to be willing to travel to a larger town/city. If you're going to spend a lot of money for a bass you'll want to play lots of different basses and play the actual bass you're going to buy. You just might save yourself a lot of grief.

17. Prahainspring

Prahainspring

Oct 22, 2002
    New Jersey
    Maybe thats what he might like :rolleyes:
    +1 on r379's point.

18. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Check out FBasses, by George Furlanetto. They very much seem like the kind of bass that would be perfect for you.

On the other hand, I think you should probably buy a new amp before a new bass. My friend has a TKO, and it's definitely not something I would call defined or woody. See if you can try a Yorkville -- great Canadian made amps, with a killer warranty. Cheap, too -- the XM200 can be found for around 700 new, and a LOT cheaper used -- one of my friends has one and is selling his (in near mint condition with a Black Widow speaker) for $300. I have a Yorkville 100B that's a bit older that I got for $150 used at a local store -- great sounding amp, tighter than my Peavey Microbass.

If you can get your hands on a used Yorkville XM200, you should have plenty of money for a used FBass BN5 or a used Cirrus 5.

By the by, search for "Cirrus BXP", and put "rcz" in the place where you put the name of the person whose posts you're searching for. He posted a review of the BXP's back when they were announced (he had a prototype or something).

19. embellisher

He wants a five string. Ric only made one five, and it wasn't a good one. So he probably doesn't want a Ric.

20. Prahainspring

Prahainspring

Oct 22, 2002
    New Jersey
    Point taken but he still shouldn't rule everything out, especially since it seems like he hasn't even played one.