1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I'm thinking about banning myself from talkbass for a few weeks >_>

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Kwesi, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Lately i've become addicted to the TB classifieds, Buying, selling, and trading basses like it's nobody's business. It's gotten so bad that I barely even sit down and take the time to get to know the instrument, much less how to play it, before i'm shipping it off somewhere. There's a whole host of things that i could work on like my reading, knowledge of theory, finger technique and efficiency, soloing, etc but i spend the time i could be using usefully, sitting in front of my computer contemplating a new purchase or trade when all of my basses are far more than adequate, so much so that i probably don't deserve any of them besides my Squier. Anyone else ever had this problem and how dd you fix it?

2. dinghy

dinghy

May 27, 2007
    Saratoga, CA
    I think a lot of people have this problem whether they realize it or not, and banning yourself from talkbass or any other site like that is a good idea. It keeps you less focused on gear and more on playing.

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    You still got this problem?

-Mike

4. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    I had that problem but have slowly been fixing it by getting back to basics with my music. For a while I had over 14 basses in my stable, around 20 different effect pedals, and a plethora of different heads and cabs. I was continuously trading and selling them for god knows what reason, and eventually I realized just how silly I was being. I can only play one bass at a time, I really only need one rig for the gigs I play, and I barely even use/need pedals to begin with.

I now own a P bass, a J bass, and a StingRay. That's it! (well, besides my Warwick SS1 :bassist:) I now only own 9 pedals and am working on downsizing that further. And I now only own one cab and two heads (a main and a backup). I'm honestly much happier because I'm focusing less on my gear and more on what's important - the music.

5. Horny Toad

Horny Toad Guest

Mar 4, 2005
    NJ
    [​IMG]

6. Quickie

Quickie

May 6, 2011
    Online anonymous...admission is half of the cure. :smug:

7. dbhokie

dbhokie

Nov 1, 2010
    That picture is absolutely amazing.

8. Ewwwwww, it's always weird to see one of my own threads brought back from the dead. Man, I look like such a newb :p. I'm sure that you'll all be pleased to know that the problem hasn't been fixed so much as it has just shifted, lol. Now, instead of browsing just the classifieds I'm just generally addicted to the interent :(. I'll pull through... somehow.

9. I had this problem too. I traded away a lot of great instruments, including my beloved Valenti, just so I could find out how much I wanted that bass back. Good luck with the ban. Just make sure it's not a perma-ban. We need Kwesi in our lives on TB.

10. Kwesi, you're the only reason I show up in the morning.

11. rr5025

rr5025

Nov 12, 2008
    Fixed that for ya bud.

12. You are all too kind :p! In fact it is for you that I wake each and every day ;).

LOL! Righteous fix, man. I approve!