1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I'm thinking about getting a new bass - some help please

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dar512, Oct 20, 2013.

1. dar512

dar512

Mar 25, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I'm thinking about getting a new bass and I need some advice. But I need to give some background.

I kind of slid into playing bass. I had some friends who had a jazz group and were looking for a bass player. I wasn't sure whether I'd like it so I bought the cheapest bass I could find. A $100 Rogue. I had flat wounds put on it in the hope that it would sound more - jazzy.

It wasn't long before I graduated to an upright and I only played the electric at the church guitar mass. And it worked fine for that purpose.

So here's the reason for looking at new basses. I volunteered to play bass for a special work event. It's rock music moving faster than I'm used to. I need to at least approximate the riff on the Mellencamp version of Wild Night. So I think I might need something with a lighter touch.

I stopped by Guitar Center to see if something new could help. Indeed of the four basses I tried, all had a much lighter touch than I'm used to with the Rogue flat wounds.

On the other hand, all the basses sounded twangier on the D and G strings than the Rogue. It's possible I just didn't know how to dial in a heftier sound. This is not my area of expertise.

But I wonder if it's just that really light strings are put on new basses and I'd have to go to heavier strings to get a decent sound. In which case, am I back to the (lack of) playability on the Rogue?

Thoughts?

2. bassman10096

bassman10096

Jul 30, 2004
    MKE
    I don't know that your Rogue is necessarily the problem. If I understand you correctly, you are looking for a bit more twang. Before exploring the expense of a new bass, why not try some new strings. I'm a flats guy, so I'd be more inclined to go from there to a half round. I like LaBella Deep Talkin Quarter Rounds, but they are a little pricey. Maybe somebody else can recommend a string?

3. lakefx

lakefx

Sep 14, 2012
    Eugene
    Flat wound strings are generally higher tension than round wounds. New basses generally come with round wounds, so that is the difference you are feeling and hearing. Try a lighter gauge or different brand of flats if you like the sound (what brand do you have on there now?) I switched from D'addario Chromes to Fender flats for my fretless a few months ago and the Fenders are more flexible and easier to play.

You might also just need to do a decent setup on the Rogue.

4. dar512

dar512

Mar 25, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Actually, I'm looking for something a easier to finger while still having a fat sound. It's possible I'm chasing rainbows. I don't know whether such a thing is possible.

5. dar512

dar512

Mar 25, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    That's good information about the flats having higher tension.

I really don't know what the shop put on there. That was years ago and I was brand new to basses at the time.

6. huckleberry1

huckleberry1

Jul 1, 2013
    Mesquite, Texas
    student
    Look into an older model Gibson with dual humbuckers, I play an RD Artist when I want that really fat boomy sound & thats with round wounds. They have the EB Bass out now- look for a used one. Its extremely light & not personally up to my standards, however with labella flats you could get pretty close to what your looking for.