1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I'm thinking about starting my own bass/guitar modding business - your thoughts?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by fourstringbliss, Dec 14, 2011.

1. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I have owned quite a few basses over the past ten years and have modified quite a few of them - changed pickups, electronics options, installed preamps, changed hardware, etc. I've gotten pretty good at it and figure I ought to make a business out of it.

I'm thinking that I could offer custom wiring and wiring repair, shielding, pickup replacement and hardware upgrades.

I know that the tech at your local GC can do mods but I think I could do the job just as well for less with a faster turn around.

Do you think this is something that people here would be interested in? I don't want to move past the dreaming stage if it isn't something that's really marketable.

Thanks!

2. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I should qualify some things here. I'm a teacher full-time, so this would be a part-time gig. Also, since I would be a Nordstrand, Allparts, and Hipshot dealer, among others, I'd also be selling stuff on Ebay and/or through my own website.

3. grisezd

grisezd

Oct 14, 2009
    Ohio
    Assuming that you still have local music stores, check with them to see if they do work like this in-house or send it out. Ask how much they see, and if they could use any help. That would be a good start. I don't know how you'd sell doing mods mail-order unless you had something really special to offer.

I've been trying to get repair and mod work out of my local shop, but unfortunately for me there is a years-deep relationship with their current guy. So for now I do work for friends and get paid in beer!

4. The local shop here outsources to a guy here who does there nuts and anything more complex

5. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I'll have to check into that - great suggestions!

Well, I've got my gmail account and Facebook page all locked in - Alexander Guitar Works would be my business name if this thing becomes a reality. AGW.