Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

im thinking about trying a Sadowsky UV70-MB4 Ultra Vintage

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 513rocks.com, Jun 25, 2005.

1. 513rocks.com

513rocks.com Supporting Member

Sep 22, 2004
    Mason, Ohio
    someone put a picture of one of these on this forum the other day and i cant stop thinking about it. ive been playing modulus flea basses for the last couple of years. i started out playing a fender jazz bass for about 10 years before the fleas came along. a couple weeks ago i bought a made in japan fender 75 RI and fell back in love with jazz basses. i guess ive always missed that passive single coil jazz bass tone. i just took a flea bass to practice today (because the jazz bass is in the shop) and i hated it. too bottom full. no mid sizzle like the fender. the guys in the band even noticed. well anyways, lets get on the sadowsky....i know theres probably noone that has a UV70-MB4 Ultra Vintage cause they are kinda new, but how do you think the passive sound will compare to my japan rI fender? i talked to kevin (i think thats what his name is) at sadowsky and i think im going to get the vintage tone control upgrade (if i do decide to go to sadowsky). that way it will be like having 2 basses in one. playing the flea basses i think ive lost interest in active basses. kevin said the sadowsky preamp is great and after playing active ill probably never use the passive side of the bass. i think he was just trying to save me some money. it probably would be stupid to buy a sadowsky and not use the preamp. i really just want to find the last bass ill ever buy. a true player. i will be selling my 2 flea basses to pay for this and that will leave me with just my 75 ri jazz bass and the sadowsky. the funny thing is the one i want has a natural finish/black pickguard/maple neck with black block inlays and binding. the 75 ri i just got has natural finish/white pickguard/rosewood neck with white block inlays and binding. ill only have 2 basses and they are almost the same. so what do you guys think? should i get it? the problem is ive never tried a sadowsky. they dont sell them anywhere close to cincinnati. but kevin said i have a week to try it. god i hate GAS...............

2. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Go for it Sadowsky rocks. :bassist:

3. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    Hi,

i've got one on order. i'm in australia and i've decided to go for it. it's a lot of cash and i have to sell my original '75 jazz to pay for it.

they have such a good reputation. i'm getting a vtc which i think will be much more flexible. i'm also thinking of buying a set of there single coil pickups too to try out. i think i may prefer there midrange to balance out the bass and treble in the woods and preamp.

only 1 more month to go i hope!!!

4. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

I tried one a few years ago. I'm on my 12 Sadowsky. I presently own 3. Dont hesitate. The preamp is very musical and will sound great in a band situation and when u record. Cuts through and thumps right along with the kick drum. Awesome jazz tone, too. Go for it.

Rob

5. Just do it!!! You won't regret it.

6. Get it, if you don't like it you can return it!!! You only have the shipping charges to loose!!!

7. 513rocks.com

Sep 22, 2004
    Mason, Ohio
    i guess the part im having trouble with is im losing 2 flea bass for one sadowsky. if youve noticed, i do have one of the flea basses on the classified ads right know. ;) i figure ill keep one. if the sadowsky turns out to be the ultimate, then ill sell the second.

8. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    I love this sound oh right....i love Jazzes,Fenders,Sadowskys,Laklands,....etc,etc,etc we love jazz basses........ :bassist:

9. I Have both Flea's and Sad's they are very different but both sound great in their way. Sad's are more versatile but I really love both.

What is your second Flea? a 5 er?

10. 513rocks.com

Sep 22, 2004
    Mason, Ohio
    i have 2 fb4's. im only getting rid of one, the newest one, to help pay for the sadowsky. i might get rid of the 75 ri also. i need to sell 2 to afford the sadowsky. i love the 75 ri but it looks just like the sadowsky i want. im just gonna sell one flea for now and decide later which one will be the second one i sell. i want to gig hard with the sadowsky to make sure its for me. im one of those type of people that cant stand to have a bunch of bass. i like to only have 2 or maybe 3 at a time. i like to have a #1 bass and a backup. i cant stand having stuff that doesnt get used alot. its just a mental condition or something. :p i couldnt stand knowing that i have a bass that sits in a case and doesnt get played alot. i would feel like it was been wasted or something.

11. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds
    I am the same way. I had several basses just sitting around and when I decided to go with Sadowsky I just sold them. I have only two basses that I won't sell.

Now, if I had older Fenders I'd keep those around but I complete understand what you are saying.

Get the Sadowsky and don't look back.

All the best,

12. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I own both a 75 RI and a RV5, I must admit the Fender doesn't get much playing time with the Sadowsky in the fold. It's nice to own a passive bass for certain tunes, but Rogers basses rule!

13. 513rocks.com

Sep 22, 2004
    Mason, Ohio
    thats one of the main reasons i want the sadowsky is its a passive and an active bass. im going to get the vtc. that was part of my question on this post. does the sadowsy (in passive mode with the vtc) sound like a old fender jazz?

14. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

I've had 12 all together and none have had the vtc. I loved all of them. I hear the vtc is cool for vintage tones. Give it a try

Rob

15. Very true. I have a Sadowsky J with single coils. In passive mode, it sounds great but not exactly like the (good) old Fenders I have played. Would anyone in the audience notice any difference? Not in my opinion.