1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

im thinking of building a new bass....

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Casey C., Oct 10, 2000.

1. Casey C.

Casey C.

Sep 16, 2000
    Butler, PA, USA
    well my dads got a really nice workshop and he really knows his stuff about woodworking. in about 3 months or so i would like to start making a bass. im just gonna make the body, i plan to order a 8 string neck from http://www.warmoth.com and the parts from either warmoth, carvin, or http://www.allparts.com .

well does anyone have advice, tips, suggestions?

i wanna go for a V shapped body.and of course, a high gloss black finsh :)

2. I say that you go with a maple neck and also i say that the pickup that you put on should be a Musicman Humbucker. Take a look at John Turner's 8 string, it has a Musicman Humbucker on it. Also, it would sound real nice with a Piezo bridge added on it. They do make them for 8 stringers. If you can't find one, see if Bill Conklin will sell you one without making it on a bass for you.

3. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Cookie, hes talking about a 4 string with octaved strings. :)

4. Casey C.

Casey C.

Sep 16, 2000
    Butler, PA, USA
    haha yea i mean the octaved 4 stringer.

5. my bad

6. Casey C.

Casey C.

Sep 16, 2000
    Butler, PA, USA
    acually i was thinking about getting a bridge humbucker pickup (like hte musicmans) and then maybe something like a p-style (or a soapbar) pickup in the neck/mid.

does anyone have recomended dimensions bychance? or blue prints to help me out more?

7. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I would think about ordering the neck first, to get accurate measurements for the neck-pocket (for a nice custom fit).

Also, IMO, it would be a shame to see a nice piece of wood covered up with black paint :( ...
    ...but, if that's what you want, go for it.