Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

im thinking of building a new bass....

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Casey C., Oct 10, 2000.

1. Casey C.

Casey C.

Sep 16, 2000
    Butler, PA, USA
    well my dads got a really nice workshop and he really knows his stuff about woodworking. in about 3 months or so i would like to start making a bass. im just gonna make the body, i plan to order a 8 string neck from http://www.warmoth.com and the parts from either warmoth, carvin, or http://www.allparts.com .

well does anyone have advice, tips, suggestions?

i wanna go for a V shapped body.and of course, a high gloss black finsh :)

2. I say that you go with a maple neck and also i say that the pickup that you put on should be a Musicman Humbucker. Take a look at John Turner's 8 string, it has a Musicman Humbucker on it. Also, it would sound real nice with a Piezo bridge added on it. They do make them for 8 stringers. If you can't find one, see if Bill Conklin will sell you one without making it on a bass for you.

3. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Cookie, hes talking about a 4 string with octaved strings. :)

4. Casey C.

Casey C.

Sep 16, 2000
    Butler, PA, USA
    haha yea i mean the octaved 4 stringer.

5. my bad

6. Casey C.

Casey C.

Sep 16, 2000
    Butler, PA, USA
    acually i was thinking about getting a bridge humbucker pickup (like hte musicmans) and then maybe something like a p-style (or a soapbar) pickup in the neck/mid.

does anyone have recomended dimensions bychance? or blue prints to help me out more?

7. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I would think about ordering the neck first, to get accurate measurements for the neck-pocket (for a nice custom fit).

Also, IMO, it would be a shame to see a nice piece of wood covered up with black paint :( ...
    ...but, if that's what you want, go for it.