1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I'm thinking of buying a Mesa M9 Carbine

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dbase, May 13, 2010.

1. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    combo 2x12 to replace my Hartke LH500 4x10 gear. Is this a good move? What do you think of Mesa?

2. Saluki

Saluki Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2005
    Springfield, IL
    Bass Gear Magazine
    I love my M6 and have owned other Mesa gear. It is high quality gear that I would fully reccomend. I prefer the flexibility and the weight of a M6 or M9 head with a lightweight cab instead of the Mesa combo. Those are about 110 lbs and while the may sound great there are lighter, more portable cab options that sound great as well. If weight is not an issue then go for it.

3. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    IMO that'll be a major upgrade. Agree with above on the weight of the combo, though.

4. MingusBass

MingusBass Commercial User

Sep 27, 2004
    Fort Wayne,Indiana
    Sweetwater Sound-Sales
    I like Mesa as a company, and the M9 is a beast of an amp, but I feel like both heads have a similar tone goal. They are both very clean, loud, and punchy heads with a smidgen of tube feel. I guess the Mesa gets the nod when it comes to overall construction but at the end of the day you'll be paying quite a bit more for a similar head with more power. If you had a LH1000, I'd probably suggest you stay still, unless you are unhappy with the sound of the LH500 and in that case I would suggest something other than one of the Carbine heads.

5. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    I have the M9 and it sounds so good!

6. tdub0199

tdub0199

Mar 4, 2010
    Atlanta, Ga.
    I also have been gasing for either the M9 or an M6...

7. Morning Beer

Morning Beer

Oct 2, 2009
    Cleveland
    No way of going wrong with that.

8. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Between the two, if you think that you would need/use either the graphic EQ or the compressor, then get the M9. If not, get the M6. Trust me, the M6 has gobs of headroom, so there's no real reason to go for the M9 from a volume-only perspective, IME/IMHO.

These are certainly great sounding heads, though! :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :cool:

Tom.