im thinking of buying this bass...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by (hed)-less, Dec 21, 2001.

1. in need of a new bass and im seriously thinking about getting an epiphone SG EB-3 4 string

what you think of it? is it worth getting? should i save my money and get something better? does anyone of you own this bass or have played it? if so what do you think of it?

thanks for any help

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    If you like a muddy, undefined tone- buy it...
  3. Hey (hed)-less, what's up? Personally, I've always liked Gibson or Gibson type basses. I was thinking of getting this very bass earlier this year, but, opted for a 5 string Yamaha instead. Although the EB-3 isn't seen that much (which is sad) I like them a lot. When you use just the neck pickup the bass sounds incredibly full, and when you blend in the bridge pup, it adds a nice clear top to the sound. I also like the fact that it has the 3 way tone switch, and, individual volume/tone controls. This way you can get a variety of sounds out of it. When you solo the bridge pup, you can get Jazz bass type tones out it; a nice thing to have. And, it's got a nice thin neck similar in width to a Fender Jazz bass, though the fingerboard has a flatter profile. It does tend to be a little neck heavy, but, you should get used to this quickly. Well, good luck with it if you do decide to get it.

Merry Christmas,
    Mike J.
  4. How much are they gonna charge you for it? If it's anything over $400, then you are getting ripped, and you should save up. If you like the look (I have always been partial to the SG body-style) and the sound, then go for it.

Rock on
  5. Im trying to find a good vintage EB-3, except a real gibson one. those things are sweet, I love em.