1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I'm thinking of getting a 6 string fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ProgSean, Jan 7, 2012.

1. ProgSean

ProgSean

Jan 7, 2012
    I'm planning on getting a 6 string fretless, i already have a ibanez btb676 and i love it to bits! i've been playing bass about 6 years and i want a fretless now, the 3 i've found in my price range are:
    Dean edge 6 fretless
    Bass Guitars London - The Gallery Bass Merchant London U.K. Basses, bass amps and Bass Repairs in London : : : : :

An Infinity 6 string fretless
    INFINITY 6 STRING FRETLESS BASS IN 2 COLOURS | eBay

and a Hudson PBS 6 Fl-nop, 6 String Fretless
    Hudson PBS 6 Fl-nop, 6 String Fretless | eBay

I want to know everyones view on all the basses, i can go down to london to try out the Dean but i can't play the others at all, they all seem too good to be true so i'm hoping someone will be able to help me out in picking one of those

2. Ibanez Bassist

Ibanez Bassist

Jan 30, 2010
    US of A
    That Cranes 6 string Is beautiful, That is a nice looking bass.. Personally I have always had 4's and now I have a 5 and Im still getting used to it, Its a bit of a challenge because I dont play it all the time..

3. Blue

Blue

Jun 19, 2004
    Central NC
    IMhO .. Fretless is where it's at - Frets only "get in my way".

That said .. it is a learning curve - for one you adjust with your left-hand fingers NOT reach for the tuners :rolleyes:. I'm not sure if it's better to start with a complex 6 string or to start with the same string count you currently are use to playing.

4. ProgSean

ProgSean

Jan 7, 2012
    My current bass is a 6 string so the number of strings isn't the problem, i love the look of the crane but i won't have any chance of playing it until i've already bought it, i'm not sure if i want to risk that

5. Ibanez Bassist

Ibanez Bassist

Jan 30, 2010
    US of A
    Yea, see thats the difference your already established with a 6er. I wasn't .. but around here you have 30 days cash return and I believe up to 90 days store credit, but if it is an "All Sales Final" type thing I wouldn't take the chance either..

6. odin70

odin70

Dec 26, 2007
    None of them have fretlines. Thats not good if you want to play in tune imo.

7. ProgSean

ProgSean

Jan 7, 2012
    i thought that if i got a fretless without fretlines i'd get use to it and it might help my playing ability, would fretlines be recommended?

8. hoey23

hoey23

Jan 1, 2012
    Fretlines=training wheels.