I'm thinking of picking up a Jackson...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Santa Kraut, Feb 24, 2004.

1. Heh before you all rip into me and tell me Jackons are the worst thing ever hear me out.

I've been looking around at some basses and I felt the Jackson CMG concert bass would be my best bet given my budget and the features I need. The reason I say this is that it has active EMGs, a nice feel, and I can get it for around four and change from guitarxpress.com .

Now some of you maybe wondering what music I play mostly and the answer is power metal. Before you start getting images of Slipknot and other main stream metal acts you should listen to Symphony X, Stratovarius, Kamelot, etc. That will give an idea of what my band sounds like. I need the active electronics as I tend to do some lead ins and some small solos here and there so a mid boost would be nice to have here and there so I don't drown out everyone else.

The bass I have now is a Mexican made Fender P bass deluxe. It has a p/j pick up combo and a Badass bridge. Don't get me wrong it's an awesome bass and all but I need a little more right now.

If anyone can comment on some experiences with the Jackson CMG or other basses similar to it I would appreciate it. Also if you have horror stories about guitarxpress.com let me know. One thing I like about them is that they offer the bass for cheaper then any store I've been to and they will set it up before they ship it out. Thanks in advance.
  2. how much money do you have??

We can probably recommend you a better bass.
  3. I have around $600 to spend.
  4. well, i'm not going to rip you for wanting a jackson, i kinda like them, i played a few of them at my local guitar store, and they sound pretty decent. I don't have a lot of experiance with active basses, i kinda like to stick with passive myself, but they seem to work pretty well, and you can get good tone out of them. But keep in mind (from what i gather, you are looking for a bass with active pickups, a nice feel, and I can get it for around four and change) there are a lot of basses that match this type. Brice usually has some cool active basses on rondomusic.com, and those run about 200-300 dollars, you mentioned that you play power metal, It seems to me that ESP seems to cater well to that genre, i am thinking about the ESP B series, they've got EMG active pickups, good feel and run about 300-500 dollars depending on which one. I am at music123.com and they have a few on close out, here is a b205 on closeout for $429 http://www.music123.com/Item/?itemno=98167
    heck, here's the same one in four string version for $299!

Well, thats all i can think of for now!
    Good luck, Charlie
  5. pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    Not much I can tell you about the newer Jacksons but I have noticed the quality has slipped a little and to me they don't have the appeal in looks over the older models.

For many, many years I played a 4-string Jackson Futura (Kip Winger) :eek: model that was a neck through with the body and neck being made of Austrailian Lacewood w/Ebony fb, a Jackson Concert 5 bolt on, and a mid 80's Charvel/Jackson 3B 4-string neck through and every one of them rocked. I never had a problem with any of them except for the 1/4" jack that needed replacement after over 15 yrs of playing on the Charvel 3B and about 10 yrs on the Futura.

So, as an 80's metal guy, I love the earlier Jacksons and say go for it if you like the feel and tone of them. Actually what I would recommend is, buy an earlier model used, there are some great deals out there to be had on them if you shop around.

6. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
  7. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    a Hamer Cruise with a 2Tek can be found used for $500-$600 too, thats another very good bass for that pricezone
  8. I currently own a 2000 Jackson C4P and it was my first bass i bought for $320 new from musicians friend. Even after playing and owning other basses and owning now a high end custom i still like the neck profile alot on the jackson but the sound from the passive "Duncan design" Jbass pups doesnt appeal to me anymore so now i am experimenting with it.

Here is a pic of mine. Its not a bad looking instrument if you can get over the "Deep candy blue" a.k.a. purple paint. Since that pic i have sanded it down to the poplar body and i'm going to refinish it in a 3 tone fender burst and install an aguilar OBP-1 preamp and Bartolini J's i scored from a local shop used for $50.
  9. Peccavi

Dec 24, 2003
    Jonas, pa
    i play death metal along the lines of at the gates meets skinliss with a little of between the buried and me and i use a esp b305fm it cuts nice, i to have solos and it stands out. i bought mine for a little under $600 but they have active esp pick-ups not emg but i am going to upgrade them. it's something to look into because i played the jackson a few times and didn't like it nearly as much as the esp.
  10. Thanks for all the advice. I guess a guitar store run is in order this weekend to try out some of the suggestions brought up.
  11. Oliver

Jun 21, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    I love Stratovarius, too bad they have made changes and bassist Jari has left.
    Anyways Jari used a custom Ibanez 6-string.

try playing a soundgear 406 or a 405 or somewhere around there.

Play whatever does it for you bro

my 2 Aussie cents
  12. Are you serious? I know Timo Koltipelto, Jorg Micheal, and Jens Johansson all left recently. It almost reminds me of Iced Earth with all the line up changes.
  13. witness

witness Supporting Member

Jan 31, 2002
    I have owned the Jackson C-MJ5 (Japan Made). In my oppinion, it was a very well built, nice feeling neck bass. It sounded very good, lots of good usable tones with the 3 band eq & slap contour switch, it sounded very powerfull soloed, but got a little lost in a live mix, if you swapped out the pups & electronics with the american made SD, it would be awesome, expecially fo that price, I paid $299 for a new old stock one at The Bass Place here in AZ, the CM5A sounded awesome too. Keep in mind that I am talking about the CMJ5/CM5A basses with the duncan designed 3 band eq & mid selector swith, appearently there some different builds of these model basses.
  14. dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    I got my G&L L-2000 for $600... you can usually find them for around $700... I highly recommend it
  15. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    For some reason, I really like the look of this jackson:
  16. I like the look of it as well but trying to find one is nearly impossible. I think ever since Fender bought the company they started to phase those out.
  17. Oliver

Jun 21, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    Now i got no idea whats going on with Stratovarius, i thought Jari left too.
    Great music though
  18. I played one of these once. Sounded really nice in a metal setting, but zero ergonomics. Feels like the first positon is miles away, and my plucking hand never felt totally comfortable. Did I mention the neck dive?