I'm thinking of selling a Schroeder cab (gasp)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TimBosby, Jan 22, 2006.

1. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    I own a 1212 which I bought from Jorg and it is awesome but I am thinking of adding a cab (a 210 of some kind) and the 1212 won't be as necessary with another cab. So even though I am thinking of getting rid of my 1212, I would like to get a mini 12 or a mini 12+ to replace it. Right now I have an Eden WT 800. I run it bridged mono through the 1212. I am thinking of upgrading to the Eden WT 800B and bridging at 4 ohms through an 8 ohm mini 12 and an 8 ohm 210 (Avatar or something else.) I was thinking a mini 12 might be a tad more portable, fill out more evenly in terms of watts once I have 1100 watts split between two cabs, and may save me a few bucks. What's the going used rate for a 1212 and would I be better off with a regular mini 12 or a mini 12 +? I don't like annoying high frequencies so I don't care much about the tweeter especially not if I have another cab....

Also is there a fundamental sound difference between bridging a wt800b at 4 ohms between two daisy chained 8 ohm cabs or just running each cab on each side at 4 ohms apiece in stereo?
  2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    well i think you mean 4 ohms bridged (2 daisy chained 8 ohm cabs) vs running two cabs at 8 ohms stereo (one 8 ohm cab per side)?

aside from a slight volume difference, i have found that most cabs sound a bit more open and articulate when run with less watts, and sound a bit "fuller" and closer to "overdriven" and "woolly" when running with more watts. Essentially, you start to induce a bit of distortion and perhaps a bit of narrowing of frequency response when you push cabs with wattage close to their max. (i'm sure the real techs can elaborate)

it's a matter of taste. some cats like the more "articulate" and "open" sound, some like the "darker" and "woolly" sound of a cab being slammed with a lot of watts. I like them both, but i lean towards the "articulate" and "open" tone.
  3. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Actually I meant 4 ohms bridged (2 daisy chained 8 ohm cabs) vs. running one 4 ohm cab per side (which would require me to buy 4 ohm cabs)

Probably makes more sense to go with 8 ohm cabs for the sake of versatility. The setup I am thinking about would let me bridge 1100 watts into 4 ohms or 880 watts into 8 ohms. Hence 1100 watts into 2 daisy chained 8 ohm cabs or 880 watts into one 8 ohm cab.

Just need some opinion on the Mini 12, Mini 12+ along with a 210. Right now I am getting all kinds of bassy rumble through my 1212 but would like a bit more punch. I suppose I could trade my 1212 for a 1210 but then I still have the one-cab problem and I find you always just get more presence with 2 cabs.

4. If you are getting a bassy rumble through the 1212, it's an EQ or bass guitar problem. Neither the 1212 (nor the 1210) is bottom heavy IMO... in fact, some complain of too much low mid and not enough true, under 100 hz low end.

Also, the difference in sound between the 1212 and 1210, while noticable, is in the same general family... not a massive difference... a little more punch with the 1210, a little more bottom with the 1212.