i'm thinking of trying this, let me know what you think....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xshawnxearthx, Apr 19, 2005.

1. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    ampegt svt 3 pro
    ampeg 610hlf is my current set up.

i wanna add an ampeg 15e for some lows.

is this going to sound good together?
  2. Well...according to Ampeg's website, the freq response for the 15 is only 50 hz on the low end, whereas the 6x10 is 53 hz. The "usable low freq" statistic (which seems a little dubious to me) says the 15 is at 33 hz at -10 db, and the 6x10 is 42 hz at -10 db...so it looks, on paper, that the 15 might go lower.

Here's the thing though. Your head puts out 450 watts into a 4 ohm load right now. But your 6x10 is rated at 1200 or so. I think you're head is crapping out on your lows. Low end requires power, and if your cab is being underpowered, then there's your missing low end. Adding an 8 ohm 15 will make a 2.67 ohm load, and the SVT 3Pro isn't even rated for that load.

Here's a suggestion: Buy a cheap (cheaper than the 1x15 cabinet) 1,000+ watt power amp, bridge it to 4 ohms, and tap into the low end goodness that 6x10 is really capable of.

Just my opinion, of course.
  3. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    I had a 410 HLF and have never heard lows like that from a bass cab that wasnt a dedicated sub. I would think the 15 wouldnt add enough to be worthwhile but I cant say for sure. Mo had a good point with the power amp. I personally would also look into other amp options if you want something more.
  4. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    thanks for the suggestions. i was looking into a power amp, i just dont want to kill our roadies hahah.
  5. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Yeah... you cant add another cab without adding a power amp with your specific rig.

Honestly, I would ditch the 610 altogether, and convert to something more naturally balanced, like a 410 + 115, or maybe the Mesa Powerhouse1000. I already said it on TB today..... Ampeg's classic cabs LACK low end and diversity. Even the 15" cabs.

You can invest in more of the same cabs again if you wish, but it would be inconvenient for you and your roadies. It just depends on what your going for. If wanna have the basic Ampeg rig that everyone else has... then stick with it. But... you read the stuff people say on TB. You know about things that a lot of other bass players are completely IGNORANT to. Schroeder, Aguilar, Eden, Epifani.... the list goes on! Get yourself a friggon Schroeder 21012 and Blow everyone outta the water.... they're more efficient than Ampeg's SVT models can dream to be, and they're way smaller and lighter in comparison.

Also keep in mind..... whatever cabs you plug into a power amp wont get the full effect of your 3Pro's capabilities. Now... somebody correct me if I'm wrong.... but I dont think the driver tube functions of the SVT 3Pro are something that is related to its preamp. (Maybe Ampeg Insider can shed some light) The actual output says "Preamp Out".... so when you Adjust the driver options on your 3-pro, it will only affect the cab that's plugged into the 3Pro's poweramp. It might not be horribly bad... but... kind of a dumb idea to go that route, if ya ask me.

Either way, my advice is "Get a better, more efficient cabinet"