1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I'm thinking of Zyex..

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Henri Gross, Nov 11, 2018.

1. Henri Gross

Henri Gross Supporting Member

Sep 22, 2018
    I'm a college student who's a bass performance major, and I spend a majority of my time doing orchestral work. Anyone have any experience playing in orchestra with Zyex? I want to try them, and they're pretty cheap too... I like the way they sound on some other basses, especially under my bow (I have a "special" bow). I've tried the Kaplan heavy tensions, and I REALLY liked those, mostly because of the amount of sound I could pull. I really just want a canon that can win auditions...

2. Seanto

Seanto

Dec 29, 2005
    USA
    Curious with those that main on orchestral think of Zyex. I personally found them to be not so much a friendly bowing string with a flat tonal response(or does that make them a good bowing string?). My Spiros are both more powerful and have a wider tonal response, which i think would convey more emotional and dynamic playing. Some describe the tone as scratchy though. To me, "scratchy" simply equals cutting through. Then again i've never played in an orchestra/symphony.(probably should become my signature)

3. Henri Gross

Henri Gross Supporting Member

Sep 22, 2018
    I played on a Spiro extended E and absolutely hated it. It was an extremely slow bow response, and then the tone quality was just down the tubes. Granted, that's just on my bass and for my playing, so while it may not work for me, it works for many (or else the string wouldn't be sold anymore).

Seanto likes this.
  4. Phil Rowan

Phil Rowan Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    I found Zyex to be a tad too bright on my bass to blend well in a bass section. But that’s my experience on my bass, so YMMV, etc.

5. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    New Orleans
    I've hated zyex under the bow. Most basses have issues with the low strings arco. I would suggest going with a standard string like flexocore or belcantos. if you get a setup that works then stick with it and focus on practicing for auditions. that's what will get you the job.

Brad_Pearson and Phil Rowan like this.
  6. Phil Rowan

Phil Rowan Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    +1. I’ve been really digging Flex92s on my bass (medium ADG w/ heavy E).

7. Steve Boisen

Steve Boisen Your first second choice™ Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
    I don't think Zyex would be a good string for orchestra work. Even the other synthetic core strings used for jazz such as Obligato or Evah Pirazzi are better choices IMO. For a pure arco sound I've been impressed by D'Addario Kaplan and Thomastik Belcanto.

- Steve

8. byrdzeye

byrdzeye

Mar 28, 2013
    Toronto, ON
    I'm a beginner on the stick of pain, but I found the Evah's are better under the bow than the Zyex were. However, I started with Zyex on my first bass and loved them with pizz, and had nothing to gage bowing them as a beginner. When I upgraded to the Upton, it was recommended to use the Evah's on it, and I really like them.