I'm through with GHS

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Stu L., Dec 18, 2004.

1. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    While I love my boomers, I will no longer play or encourage anyone to play them. I've already been in touch with DR, now to find a set of DR's I like. Highbeams are nice, maybe I'll stick with those.
  2. tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Good move switching to DR's. They make great strings. But what was the problem with GHS, if you like the strings, bad customer service experience maybe?

3. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    They dropped all independant reps. The part that made me the maddest is that they just announced it this month, effective Jan 1, and my good friend said he's scared to buy Christmas for his kids, not knowing when he'll have another job. Firing/laying off people in the last quarter of the year is not cool in my opinion.

EDIT: While I know that this is a big business practice, that doesn't mean I have to encourage it.
  4. FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    OH man that sucks. That has got to be the worst feeling in the world to know you might have a job but then again you may not.
  5. Then don't own a computer made by any of the major manufacturers. Every damn one of them outsources as much work to India as they can possibly export. And don't get x-rays any more either, as they are exporting the radiology jobs to India also. Some guy 12.5 hours different in Bangalore is reading your x-rays.

Wake up and smell the coffee... the corporate pukes are not your friend. In the name of "cost cutting" (read: obscene profits and executive salaries) they are wholesale exporting our jobs to India. And when India salaries start getting too high, the corporate pukes will jump to China.
  6. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Just because it's the way it is, doesn't mean I have to like it. Or agree with it for that matter. And I thought India had the customer service jobs, while China had the manufacturing?

Sorry I care more about my friends than a damn pack of strings.
  7. huh... i doubt 1 or 2 sets of strings every 2-3 months would be that hurtful to a freindship
  8. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I don't believe this was a matter of friendship, but rahter that his friend is an independent retailer and may not have a job after this move by GHS.
  9. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    That's basically it TP. Independant Rep, meaning he represents GHS/Rocktron, they pay him a commision.

He can go to work repping for a new company. It just kinda irratates me they did it during the Holidays.

I don't encourage anyone else to join me. Just wanted to start an informative thread. Sorry if anyone got their feelings hurt.
  10. Juddium

May 24, 2004
    if anyone gets their feelings hurt over something like that, they do it to themselves and probably deserve it
    it is rather annoying that all service jobs are being outsourced to india - I worked in a computer/network administration job for a school district, and some of the calls I made were horrible. I couldn't understand them and they didn't understand me - that and they had horrible communication with the other departments of the company. course this was just one particular company, but my father tried getting some computer questions lined up for a Christmas gift and ended up talking to some guy in Manilla

course, our economy as a whole does better when we use free trade, but the little guys always get pissed on
  11. Artisan

Apr 14, 2004
    The beauty of being a salesman is that you can have another job in a day or two. Since no one is paying anyone a decent wage, offering pensions or decent health plans any longer, it really doesn't matter who you work for, or what you sell.

Yes, it sucks that anyone is being laid off during the holiday season. I'm old enough to remember when they had the courtesy not to tell you before January first, that way, thinking you still had a job, you went out and bought a lot of presents for the family on credit and then screwed up said credit because you lost your job and couldn't make the payments. Me thinks I would rather know before the holidays.

The point is, we should all live as though we will lose our jobs within the next six months. If you don't, you and your family are the ones that will suffer when you do lose your job.

Wait until the pension funds begin to fail. You'll really hear some wailing then. I just hope I'm not one of the wailers.
  12. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    After thinking about what BG said earlier, and what some others have chimed in with, I think there's a misunderstanding. His job is not going to India. It went to Ct. Very much still in the USA.

Artisan, I agree with you on the fact that there are other sales jobs out there. I just don't like GHS' timing. I was compensated very well by them these last three years, and now I am moving on.

The hard part will be finding a new pedal I like as much as my Rocktrons, if and when they begin to fail.
  13. Copycat

Copycat Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    Try DR Sunbeams. Nickel roundwound like boomers, but not as bright. You might like 'em. Hi Beams and Fat Beams are both stainless steel roundwound strings. Brighter than the Boomers by a bit. I prefer the Marcus Fat Beams, but they're sometimes not stocked as readily. As far as the rep situation, yeah, even if it's a business necessity, it's a real bad PR move, if nothing else, to make moves like that around the holidays.
  14. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    I'm digging these Hi Beams. I'll try a few more sets until I choose, but so far I like these strings.

And thanks for seeing my POV on the whole Holiday thing. :)
  15. Copycat

Nov 14, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    Didn't realize in reading your first post that you had already made the switch. Hi Beams are great as well. You can't go wrong with any of the DRs, so try 'em all over time. One will certainly do it for you, whether it's the Hi Beams, Fat Beams, Sunbeams or another.
  16. Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Highbeams are my favorite...I've tried all of the DR's for bass except for the Bootzilla's but the coated thing..ain't my thing.

Highbeams feel very close to Roto's (Rough) and seem to last the longest of any string I have tried.
  17. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Slap some SIT's on that puppy!
  18. Ah, not too picky about strings... like the GHS, can't say I dug that move you described tho, on yer friend's behalf.

either which way, I really don't get too pciky on strings. I like regular old Fender strings mosta the time, as they are cheap, last a long time and in a way feel smoother than the boomers and Ernice Ball slinkys I have used.

I hate D'Addario strings. Don't like Dean Markley. I think the Elixer strings are nice...but pricey, as are DR's. I guess I don't have the problem with short lifespan strings like others do....mine still have zing after a month + of play.
  19. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    I never really cared for SIT's. Or EB, or Markley. Picky I guess.

That and I can't seem to get the D'adarrio guy on the phone. Those new Pro Steels or whatever were nice in the beta testing. I wouldn't mind a new set of those.
  20. Copycat

Nov 14, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    Stubi19, what's the skinny on the D'Addario Pro Steels you referenced? Haven't heard of them.