Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I'm to be subjected to Jazz...Oh, the humanity!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Matthew Bryson, Jul 15, 2004.

1. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    My wife realizes that I am a bassist who is frustrated by my current lack of a gig. So she mentioned that she knows of an "open mic night" that happens each week at a local place. At first I showed an interest and explained that an open mic could possibly be a good place for me to get my "playing out" fix, and maybe a good place to meet people to start a future project with. I asked her for more info and she said that from what she hears, they play jazz. I said "Oh, then never mind. I don't play jazz". But I don't think she got it - she's continued to suggest that I go.
    Now, she had asked me if she could take me out on a date tonight and I agreed, but it seems that what she plans on doing is taking me to this open mic jazz jam. Oh god, this is the last place I want to go. I really don't dig jazz and this will be jazz performed by amateurs on an open mic level. I'm going, just because my wife asked me to go out there with her. But I'm not looking forward to it. Dear God. Have mercy on my soul.
    :bawl:

2. vegaas

vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    Milwaukee
    Too much Jazz for one hand! :bassist:

3. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

relax ...try it , you might like it !! i doubt anyone will force you to get up and play...
    i went out to see Jon Packard {Pacman} the other night . i didn't know what to expect , but i had a very enjoyable evening , listening to jazz and drinking beer ... :cool:

4. Matt, Jazz is simply great. Give it a chance.

Let go of the major scales, embrace the minor.

Jazz is like staying in a nice cozy bed & breakfast, as oppsed to a big hotel.

Mmmm. So good. :cool:

Mike

5. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Oh no, of course not. I'm not even taking a bass. I'll just be there to listen.

I'll try to give it a chance, I really will. Oh well, at least they'll have beer at this place.

6. This is terrible. You have my sincere condolences.

:) Not really!

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Actually - I tend to agree! So playing Jazz at that kind of level can be fun - but listening.....:meh:

I think that Jazz especially, depends on having great players, who are sympathetic to each other, to be listenable. I'd go to see great Jazz players every night, at the drop of a hat, but Jazz played poorly, with little sympathetic interaction can be truly dire!

I know, I've been in Jazz jams before, where I've thought - I'm glad nobody's listening to this!! ;)

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

PS - be sure to let us know how it goes!! :)

9. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    This 19 year old rocker says you should give it a good shot.

I used to hear jazz and think "its all Greek to me" (ignore the fact that Im half Greek ;)) but eventually something just clicked.

I used to sneak into a local pub with some friends when I lived in Miami when we were 17-18 to listen to some bands just jam every Wednesday night. Sometimes it would be a random group open mic deal, other times it was the same set of regulars who had met at an open night a few weeks earlier and just came back again and again but it was almost always great.

Just give it a chance to sink in a bit and dont think about it in the same sense you might think about rock or blues. In fact dont think about the music at all! Thats when it really clicked for me.

In conclusion, bebop and avante gard (sp?) are it for me but it takes a bit of time for them, especially avante-gard, to grow on you. Once they do though, you wont be able to change the station once you click it on.

10. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    A now defunct coffee shop in Amherst had an open mic jazz night. We called it the Jazz explosion. It was truly a horrible thing to behold. -and I like jazz! The "musicians" would clutter the sidewalk in front and behave badly. The shop got numerous noise complaints from the bar next door, which I found hilarious.

11. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    But I hate jazz AND beer.

Is there no hope?

12. Here's a quote from an e-mail sent to me from a guitarist in our trio:

"…From a post on the jazz guitar newsgroup (not, of course that I have
    time to read it...)

…My wife came to listen to my trio play at a local bar/restaurant. She
    said that about halfway through a set, an older guy walked in and
    stood in the doorway for about a minute, watching us with a look of
    shock and confusion on his face. To nobody in particular, he said "My
    god, that sounds like jazz," and then he left
    .… "

:meh:

- Wil

13. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    You could drink your fancy boy mixed drinks if youd like but dont be suprised if you get some weird looks from Bubba.

14. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    If my memory serves me correctly you posted a thread a little while back insisting you were quitting bass. I think I replied you'll be back. :D

Amateurs playing jazz on open mic night sounds frightening. Don't look into the light!!

15. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    What's Bubba doing listening to jazz?

16. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Reminds me of Letterman's character in Cabin Boy, "C'mere Suszy, we got your Sex on the Beach ready!"

17. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Looking for guys like you.

He likes the way your beard tickles.

18. A bar complaining about noise - that is a good one! :D

Mike ;)

19. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    It's a loud bar too, no live music (just a 'box) but typically packed with people.

20. :D :D