I'm too loud,I'm too loud,I'm too loud,I'm too loud,I'm too loud,I'm too loud....RANT

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cb56, May 29, 2001.

1. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Well here we go again,
    My set up:
    SVT 200T
    pre amp on 6
    Stage volume on 4
    Using direct out to sound board.
    We used a totally different sound man than we've been using before. Same results. As soon as I turn up loud enough to hear myself over the Drums and 2 Guitars. The soundman starts bitchin about the bass being too loud. I swear I can't hear myself. I even used a wimpy (IMO) tone set up. turned the lows WAY DOWN and boosted the mids around 400.(as suggested by someone here at TB) I can't stand playing that way but I am trying to be cooperative. Why should I haul around heavy @ss speakers if can't even hear myself. I'm seriously thinking about just setting a 210 cab at ear level for me and turning it up so only I can hear it. What next...Headphones???

End of Rant.
  2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I have the same problems. My solution was to lower the volume of my rig and have the sound man drop a little bass back through the monitor feeds.

Also, do you point your amp straight out to the sound guy? Try shooting it across the stage at 90 degrees from the board. Especially the 10s. This could help.

How close are you to your cabs? An 18 focuses pretty far away. You can probably hear better if you can get a little farther from the amp.

BTW, I played an SVT200T w/ 2 ampeg SVT 115 cabs through about 250 shows and it cranked every time. I love that head. A buddy of mine bought it from me and still uses it for a fancy DI box in his studio.

3. alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    I don't know the exact particulars of your amp set up but since you're going DO to the board, the key is giving your sound man a pre amp signal at sound check that he's cool to deal with and you adjust your stage volume at the power amp. A pre amp setting of 6 sounds a bit aggressive to me. I use an Alembic F-1X preamp and when I go DO to a board, I usually set it between 2 and 3. Sound man has loads of flexibility and I have my power amp to make me happy. If this doesn't give you your desired tone, there's always the option of miking the cab.

Hope this helps,

4. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Is the sound guy saying your dignal is too hot going to the board or is he saying the stage bleed is too much? I read your post to mean that you were so loud you were overpowering the house. If so, go with the previous post. If it is the other, you have a seperate send for the DI level, just turn it down.

5. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    yeah, I guess I didn't make that clear. It's my stage volume that gets the complaints not the signal to the board. The SVT 200T gives the ability to adjust the line out signal to the board so, that is never a problem. I stand pretty close to the rig and I do point it out to the dance floor. Maybe it is the 18 and I just can't hear it. I sure love the way the 18 sounds under the 410 I'd hate to give it up. I guess another option would be to just use the 410 by itself putting it on an amp stand pointed up at me, but then my nice warm bass tone disappears. I don't like the sound of the 410 near as much by itself as I do coupled with the 18.
  6. I think the 18" gives you the hassle. As you're DI-ing anyway, I fear it'll have to go....

by the way, I own an SVT-200T too.. fantastic amp! love it to death!

Nowhere near too loud for me (gain on 10 stage volume on 7-8-ish), but I run only one cab. Adding a 2 x 10" soon.
  7. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    try & talk to the incompetent err. the sound guy. :D With my limited experience with rigs other than combos i'd say if u can get a 2X10-less volume but would still let ya keep the mega floor rumbler. I've found that when i can hear myself really well that means i'm overpowering the others-then again i'm goin through a 70s Ampeg SS fliptop combo w/a 15 while they [guitarists] are using a 2X8 & a 1X8. oh well, hope ya get it worked out-it'd be a shame to have to get rid of an 18. thats all
  8. leftybassdog

leftybassdog Senior Supporting Member

I had the same problem and changed to all 10s. the 15s and 18s are great if you have the room to be 10-15 foot in front of your cabs, I get my big bottom from the sound system, the head you use will work great with a 4x10 or 8x10 cab, I use a SWR 750 but the head I had before the 750 was a SVT-2 and I ran the 8x10 cab, now I use two SWR goliath 3 cabs but the sound is about the same, try a 10 cab and see if you like it. the bottom line is you need the sound you dig !
  9. phil_chew

Mar 22, 2000
    I agree with RR that the 18" cab is probably causing the boominess. You don't feel it when you are standing close to it. But at the back of the hall, you can cause tooth fillings to drop out if you don't tone down. Many bassists I know have stopped using 18s, especially indoors. I myself use a 2x10 on top of a 1x15. The tens are near my ears so I hear it well.
  10. I had that same problem a few times with my 18 and 2-10's. I know what you mean by wanting to keep the 18 in the system but in my experenxe the 18 was the problem. You need to get away from the cabinet to hear it the way you like it. This may sound a little strange but I solved my problem by turning the 18 cabinet around facing the back of the stage and kept the 10's to the front. I could then turn down a little and still have the killer bottom I wanted on stage and the sound man was able to deal with it a little better. Don't know why it worked and not sure that it should have worked but it did.
  11. MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    Hard to tell what you're dealing with, but I think I agree with the other posters that it could be the 18" speaker. I never stand directly in front of my rig (which alternately uses a 1x18 or 2x15) - I stand a least a few feet away and usually to the side. You hear better balance that way. Sometimes indoors there is no way around the problem - you can have nice bass levels on stage and be pounding the audience really badly with it because of room acoustics and the "throw" phenomenon. This means: if it is more important to you that the audience hears a good mix, then you sometimes have to sacrifice a bit of the sound quality on the stage. Sometimes it can sound terrible to you right there, but you have to trust that the audience is hearing it just right. I speak from personal experience with this.

If you haven't read the thread I started on "throw" of bass from cabinets, check it out at http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=9774&highlight=Throw+Summary.

- Mike
  12. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    I use 2 118's and 2 410's, one each bilaterally. I DI as well but put it BEFORE the pre amp which gives me the flexability to set whatever i want on stage without really effecting the front line. Once my bass is set I dont touch it, that gives the sound guy a consistant signal all night. Then I adjust the stage volume to a pleasant mix with the rest of the instruments.

13. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Sounds like what I've been doing all along Mike, only with half the speakers you are using.
  14. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    OK i didnt get that from your original, if he is bitchin about your stage sound comming out past the front line, he doesnt have the rest of the band loud enough. Even with your aggressive pre-amp set up I wouldnt expect you to blow away the front. I have had the battles with having the bass in the monitor system and then listening to the guitar players cry about not hearing each other. Thats why i have a bilateral set up and i can play at a little lower volume.

The sound man needs to turn everyone else up in the mains and leave you alone.

15. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    So in other words I should just put a sign on my amp that says:

NO Mr. Soundman I cannot/will not turn down!!!

I like it.

By the way at the risk of sounding ignorant, what is a bilateral setup?
    Are you putting a 410/18 on either side of the stage?
  16. LeMonJello420

LeMonJello420 Guest

Jan 9, 2001
    Tampa, FL
    I agree.....why stress about it? Just play the way you play and let the sound man work around you. They may not like it at first, but they'll deal.
  17. I'd have to go with the sound guy on this one. I've had the same comment when just having my cab pointing straight out towards the audience. I think you may need to change to orientation of your stage set-up so that not as much of that sound is going out. At times, I angle cabs up at myself and from the side, so that me and the drummer can hear me well.

I think it's ridiculous in most cases for any of us to think we know more about sound than soundpeople. Sure, there are some know-nothings out there, but most of the ones I've dealt with know their stuff; and I'm small time!

I forget what famous musician said it, but he said it well when he said playing in a band/ensemble well requires hearing the other members more prominantly than yourself.....or something like that.

My 2c
  18. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Believe me,
    hearing the two guitar players and the drummer in my band is NOT a problem.
  19. Then try a gig without the 18".. it'll 'throw' a lot indeed, cause a lot of rumble on stage and won't contribute very significantly to your overall on-stage-volume, speaking in terms of "usable" frequencies for monitoring.
  20. Well, mikey here is a doctor, so he can afford to buy all of those cabs. he could probably buy the whole fargin company if he wanted. :D