Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I'm too stupid to figure the series/parallel mod

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by momo, Feb 17, 2006.

1. momo

momo

Oct 22, 2005
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I just don't get it. I tried it on my GL jazz with the diagrams that I found on here, but I get no sound now that I am plugging it in. I thought I wired it right, but I guess not.

Here is what I need to find. A schematic with all of the wires in the control plate, and then a close up of the dpdt switch,

OR

The month/ year issue that Rick Turner did the picture article in BP magizine about this. I own all of them still, so I must still have the article.

Any help would make my day.

2. momo

momo

Oct 22, 2005
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Sorry, I have a push pull pot, I don't know if that is the same as a dpdt switch. This pot is in the tone position.

Hope that helps.

3. http://www.fenderforum.com/userphotos/index.html?recid=17292

The switch drawing on the lower right hand side is as viewed from the back. Sorry, when I drew it I show it vertical. It would have been better to have drawn it horizontally. I drew the contacts out to the side to show how they connected internally inside the switch. The switch is really two separate switches in one. Each switch has two positions. Flip it one way and the center lug is connected to the outer lug. Flip the other way and the center lug is connected to the other outer lug. In other words the center lug is common to the outer lugs on that side of the switch. In the drawing I show the common (center lug) at the bottom. The outer lug of each switch is on the top. The important thing is that you connect the common lug where it is supposed to go (To the pickup). If you just turn the sideways when hooking it up so it aligns with the drawing then the top row of lugs can be the switch on the left side of the drawing and the bottom row of lugs the switch on the right side of the drawing.
    Hope this is clear enough.
    One last item: The Bridge volume control will be disabled in Series mode as you only need one volume to control the series pickups because they become like "one pickup" as they are now wired like a P bass pickup which is really two pickups wired in series.

If not then you can email me at:
    gary-ats@sbcglobal.net

-Gary

4. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=195970

Its the most simple instructions ever, I followed them fine. Im sure you will get it right. Oh by the way DPDT switches are usually in push pull pots. but sometimes they are not.

if your push pull pot has an extra 6 pins on the bottom then you should be alright

5. I like the way BigBeefDog labeled the connections and his simply written instructions on the link above.

6. momo

momo

Oct 22, 2005
    Huntington Beach, CA
    OK, so I think I have it working, but, I don't have anything connected to lug#6, is this where the bridge PU ground should be? I have it connected to the bridge PU vol pot case. Is this wrong?