1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I'm torn between getting flanger, boss syb-5, and dunlop wah bass pedal....

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by suitlandkid2005, Sep 23, 2008.

1. suitlandkid2005

suitlandkid2005

Sep 23, 2008
    I want to know would it be a waste of money to buy all these effects. I already have a boss odb3 distortion pedal for that heavy sound; but I want to experiment with other genres. I would like to do something that would sound funky. I mean would I need just one like the boss syb-5 and that's it? Would it sound good with wah bass pedal?

2. I had the dunlop wah bass pedal, but I sold it. It was VERY cool, but I just couldn't find an applicable use for it with the music I play.

3. B.C.

B.C. Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Indiana
    In my opinion, an overdrive and wah, in the right context sounds really sweet.

Ok, so each of these FX are very different, so let me ask you this. What kind of sound are you looking for?

4. suitlandkid2005

suitlandkid2005

Sep 23, 2008
    Well, i am a beginner and have been playing for only 2 months. I want to be able to play all styles eventually. I have the overdrive pedal for metal but I want to delve into something where I play funky as well like jazz, latin, or maybe electronica. I'm feeling that I should get the boss syb-5 since I heard it is nice and funky and I think it would sound good with a wah pedal. And then you just said that wah pedal sounds good with overdrive and I could try that. I am a beginner and I just want to add some color and flavor to my playing.

5. B.C.

B.C. Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Indiana
    Fair enough, I can help. :)

I bought the Boss SYB-3 pedal as my first FX pedal. I use it to this day, but it took a long time for me to find a use for it. It would be good for electronica and some funk(IMHO). Jazz and Latin, well, the best thing for that IME is a clean sound(especially with an upright:))

Given those, I would choose the synthesizer or wah. Those at this point, will probably serve you better than the flanger. Unless of course you really want the flanger, go with that. My advice is to browse online for sound clips of each pedal, then decide what you want to try first. :)

6. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Flanging is cool, but I wouldn't suggest it for most people. Its usefulness is "limited" for the average player, especially if you intend to play jazz or Latin styles. Fun for rock, experimental, and metal styles, though. :)

A synth pedal is funky and cool, but it'd be really hard to fit into most contexts. It'd be right at home in an electronica or wild funk band, but generally, I'd stray away from it. Plus, there's not a lot of love for its tracking, and given how synth pedals are naturally a bit tricky to dial in and make good use of (especially for a beginner), you might find yourself frustrated and give up on synthesizer pedals.

There are a lot of really cool synth pedals out there, though... so I'd rather not see you spoil your interest in them because of one weird pedal. ;)

Wah, on the other hand, has the easiest time of finding a home in any style - funk, jazz, metal, whatever. Plus, the Dunlop 105Q (the white bass wah) simply sounds awesome both with clean and overdriven sounds. There are always other bass wahs to consider, but that one can be relied on to please most people, IMO.

7. I have the Boss OD; I do have the Crybaby and i love it as well. I think that the wah/OD sound is awesome, and I also think that the wah would be your best choice here because I think it can be used in more styles than the other two.

8. dream_bass

dream_bass

Nov 19, 2007
    it mostly depends on ur style,but my segestions is for an boss syb 5 and an expression pedal ...instead of an wah :)
    cheers

9. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    My suggestion (if you've only been playing for a couple months) is to focus on the playing aspect rather then effects. I feel the effects will mask what you're doing and will make it easier for you to get sloppy learning due to not really hearing what you're playing.

I feel Learn > Improve > Find your Tone > Add Effects for specific needs.

If the playing is good no one will give a rats ass if there's effects or not. Seriously.