1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I'm torn between the two Hartke's

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Richbass101, Dec 8, 2011.

1. I've been using the old Hartke 3500 head bought new back in 93 only been in the shop once & I love the sound. My band is starting to play bigger venues so I'm gonna need a more powerful head. I'm thinkning about the LH1000 or the Kilo but just dont know which would better. I also use the sans amp for a bit more clarity etc. I'm going to want a stack on each side of the stage ( 4 x 10 & 1 x 15 - all cabs are 8 ohms ) . Would the Lh1000 be good enough? Wish someone had a good review on the Kilo...

2. MattyH

MattyH

Jul 20, 2010
    Long Island
    I have the LH1000. I haven't used the Kilo, but the LH1000 is stellar. I love my tone. It's super simplified and easy to use, but pretty versatile too IMO. For $600 you cant go wrong. The best part is if you had mismatched cabs (you don't, I think Hartkes usually always run 8ohms), you can run the head parallel un bridged. I can stack my Ampeg 410HLF (4ohm), and 1x15 (8ohm) safely without the head exploding, unbridged, parallel. Great feature if you ask me. I couldn't do that safely unless I got a head that went to 2ohms. It has 2 1/4" outputs per side. 4 in total.

Anyway, the LH1000 is awesome. I really love it. It's a great deal, and it really has some stunning power and tone. Solid and has never let me down. BUT, I haven't heard the Kilo. I hear they're similar, minus the extra tubes, overdrive, and Graphic EQ. Either way, whatever you choose, I think you're looking at a great head for your Hartke cabs.

3. MattyH

MattyH

Jul 20, 2010
    Long Island
    PS - I also have a 3500 Transient Attack head. Older model like yours. That head is truly time tested. Never had a problem and for a lower watt/ohm head it CRANKS. I love it. But I understand the need for some more boom. Good luck!

4. Bassflute

Bassflute

Jun 24, 2006
    Vancouver
    Endorsing Artist: MTD basses and strings; Bergantino Amps & Cabs
    There's this brief summary review:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/a...there-gig-reports-wanted-830040/#post11862204

I thought it sounded really great, and liked the features more than the LH1000. Fantastic stuff.

Cheers,
    Cameron

5. MattyH

MattyH

Jul 20, 2010
    Long Island
    Oh man, now I want a KILO!

6. thanks for the info ( I'm leaning towards the LH1000 ) my cabs are SWR GOLIATH 3 & SON OF BERTHA. But yes that old 3500 was worth every penny and then some

7. just read your review on the kilo Bassflute sounds awesome to me, now I'm just going to have to play both before I purchase. I've went back & forth on these two heads unable to decide like a chick over shoes :meh:

8. jjk2007

jjk2007 Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Endorsing Artist: DNA
    I really dig my LH1000. I'm a plug and play guy though, and I don't use effects at all. I run the EQ at around the 3-10-0 settings and it works well for all my basses. I pump it through a Hydrive 410.

9. Let me know if you are interested in selling your 3500. A beginning bassist would love to carry on the solid tradition of such and amazing, long-lasting piece of gear. Having your autograph would make it even more special.
    (Is that enough brown-nosing?)

10. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    The worst thing you could do is put mismatched stacks on both sides of the stage. Read up on how sound works. Your current amp and 2 cabs should handle most any gig.

11. The LH1000 is a tube amp whereas the Kilo, I believe is not. The kilo has more features and a nice tone, but if you want the hartke tube tone that makes you love your 3500 than I think the LH1000 is the way to go.

Also, pairing two 4x10 cabinets will give you more volume than a 4x10 paired with a 1X15. More speaker cone area= more volume. I can't speak to your cabinets but as with hartke XL cabs the 4x10 and the 1X15 can both produce the same low hertz but the 10" speakers will keep going in the high register where the 1X15 will cut out.

Hope that helps

12. +1

Don't be too fooled by wattage either, 350 watts with two matched 4X10 cabs should easily handle what you are doing. I have the 200 watt version of this head paired with two hartke XL cabs, I compete with a loud drummer, screaming vocalist, and a Marshall half stack, never do I need to turn up past about 2.5 on the master volume. in terms of volume, I could smoke any of them in a heartbeat...

Also, larger venues will almost always have a FOH sound meaning that your bass rig can quickly become nothing more than your personal stage monitor while your line out feeds the house subs.

13. jumbodbassman

jumbodbassman Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2009
    Stuck in traffic -NY & CT
    Born Again Tubey
    what about the old 7000. 350 watts per channel into 4 ohms each. not many amps do 2 ohms anymore.....

14. I had one of these in the day and it pumped

15. The LH100 has a tube pre but is not a tube amp!

16. Either are really good.

17. Bassliner

Bassliner

Mar 15, 2005
    Rotterdam
    That's gotta be some huge gigs..or just a very loud band ;-)
    Hope you wear protection :p

My problem with the old HA3500 and 5000 was.. They both broke, too easily. Not like I've been throwing them around. Both were flightcased. They both had tiny problems that kept coming back. Since those two, I sort of lost faith in the brand, maybe I was just unlucky though.

1k watts and 4 big cabs sounds like stadium material though. High profile, lots of gigs? I'd just approach the local import company an make a deal with them to try both of them out.

I have a completely different approach, using a smaller rig, monitors an a good di. And our own engineers, probably the most important thing for big gigs..