1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I'm torn...finishing debate...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by ccrnnr9, Apr 30, 2009.

1. ccrnnr9

ccrnnr9

Sep 1, 2008
    Well i finished the building phase of my tele bass and embarked on the finishing portion last weekend. I used an alder body and used nitro sanding sealer, acryllic olympic white and reranch clear to finish it. I am pretty satisfied with the results thus far; the last coat of nitro clear was sprayed a couple hours ago and is hanging to dry for the night and tomorrow morning. Here is the debate:

I am moving from Colorado to St. Louis and thought I would be done with the bass far sooner than now. While I am pretty satisfied with the result I think that when it is all said and done I am going to want to take the time and make the investment to redo the finish in a few months after I have saved the money for a decent spray gun and a variety of finishes and can experiment scrap pieces. That being said, I really want to string her up to play tomorrow after she has been drying for awhile. I know this is a major no no in the world of nitro finishing but if I plan to redo it anyways am I risking anything? Additionally will the nitro even be cured enough so that it is safe to do some minor block sanding so at least the finish looks decent. Let me know.

Also, thanks to everyone who gave me advise on the finishing process! It made the whole thing easier and saved a lot of headaches. I am one of those people who learns by mistake and I really feel I have learned a lot about the finishing process through many of you. Thanks so much TDPRI!
    ~Nick

2. praisegig

praisegig Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2008
    Stephenville, TX
    You can wet sand the finish and then polish. Start with 800 grit and block sand the front and back. If you have a lot of orange peel, then you may have to go down to 600 or 400, then work your way back up to 2000 grit. Sand the sides last. You might see some shrinkage from now on out until the nitro fully cures. Since the top coat is still fairly soft, you also may get some finish indentations under the neck plate and bridge. When you get settled in after your move, you will have a good base for the refinish plans. JMHO

3. I think I would string it up and play it without final sanding and polishing for several weeks, especially if you plan on striping it and refinishing it in the near future.