Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I'm totally confused....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Beav, Dec 11, 2004.

1. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    Ok, first off I have 3 basses. An OLP, an SX, and an Ibanez 5. At home I have a Ampeg rig (SVT3PRO and SVT410HLF) and at my apartment I have a Fender BXR 25 (or something). Now, at the apartment I play though my pedal board (to compensate for crappy speaker/preamp) and I've noticed my Ibanez sounds muuuucccchhhhh better though my Fender. Through my Ampeg (with the bass boosted) the 'B' sting is weaksauce, however plugged in though the pedal board it sings like crazy.

Having said that, I have 2 possible answers to the question.

A. I'm totally insane
    B. My compression pedal set just right limits the other stings (with higher outputs) and lets the low volume of the 'B' be heard.

Am I missing anything here?

2. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Hi beav2k2, sounds like option (b) is probably close to the mark. Although, there may be some frequency dependent effects in your amp/speakers too. And, the compression may be doing more than just smoothing your fundamentals. But I've experienced the same type of thing with some 5's, especially those with weaker B strings.

I'd suggest two experiments, to isolate the symptom. One is, play your fiver through a rig with a solid low end (like a Walter Woods and a pair of Bag End's), and see if the B string sounds any different. The other is, play a bass with a powerful B string, like a Roscoe, through both of your rigs and see if they respond any differently.

3. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    ...OR.. you could be insane.
    :D

4. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I'm going to say option A since you used the phrase "weak sauce."

5. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    :spit:

Unfourunetly, I'm unable to do either of those. I'm stuck in Middle Tennessee with nowhere that I know of that sells anything but GK, SWR and Ampeg (of the higher quality companies). I also have no friends with high end basses to try though my rig(s).

6. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    I hear ya... the other day there was this hot guy and..... oh.

7. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    ok, thanks very much for the raspberry. now there's spit all in the inside of my monitor
    the problem definitely sounds like a compression or at least eq issue where your pedal is either bringing a lo b string up to level with the others or perhaps that frequency is boosted in your pedal somehow. i would think that going direct into the amp would be more representative of what the bass is really putting out since the pedal is obviously coloring the tone and response.
    my guess is compression