1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I'm totally excited about my Rogue $199.00 bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Skel, Apr 6, 2006.

1. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    I just ordered a Rogue VB-100 Beatle bass on MF for $199.00 bucks. I can't wait to put some flatwounds on this thing. I was just listening to some Beatles stuff on the car radio -"Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds". I love that tone. Of course McCartney may have used his Ric for this. Anyway, after hearing a Beatles tribute band on cruise ship recently - you can get that great tone with just about any amp, it seems.

Skel

2. im planning on getting one of those too...when i have money...and enough skill to play like mccartney

3. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Well the cool thing is that a bass like this is perfect for a guitar/bass player like me who is used to playing with a pick. I heard the cruise ship Beatle guy playing mostly with a pick, but he played with his fingers on one song. The bass sounded better with a pick.

4. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Oh, and have you ever listened to a band, and could just barely hold yourself back from correcting the guy on a bass line? The guy did a great job, but he played the wrong notes for the intro run to "Here comes the Sun". Those notes are critical to the song.

Skel

5. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    So let's see if anybody can name the first 4 bass notes to "Here comes the Sun"

6. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Banned

Nov 20, 2005
    Phila,Pa.
    A,B,Bflat,A

7. Schwaa

Schwaa

Feb 25, 2006
    I played a Rogue (not the same model though) in a pawn shop recently, it was sooo light, played alright too. But I had to spend 5 minutes getting it into tune and I think the strings were dead.

Looked very nice, but they were asking $400 -not even in tune, one string was floppy loose. They same (newer version) sells for around $200 online.

8. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    I don't think so. Anybody agree with this? I'll just say that I think the notes are D, C#,B, A, followed by a little walk consisting of E, C#, B, E, (I IV V I walk) then to "A" which is the song's key and opening chord/note.

I hope I'm right on this!

9. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    I got my Rogue VB-100 a couple days ago. It's amazing what you can buy these days for $200 bucks. It definitely needs the flatwounds though.

What exactly do the switches and knobs do? Are the knobs for pickup volume or tone? And the switches - I guess they are to turn the pickup on or off? And last, this "solo" switch -what is this for? Anybody have any idea how McCartney used his as far as the settings and pickups?

10. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    Not exactly the same thing, but there's a funny story about how every time Billy Joel goes to a wedding, the band plays "Just the Way You Are", but they invariably read from, or have learned from, sheet music that is incorrect. It supposedly drives him nuts.
    Also, there was a story about the young Leonard Bernstein taking a walk, happening to walk by a house wherein someone was butchering a piano piece (by Beethoven I think), and actually climbing through the open window to commandeer the piano and play it correctly!
    Okay, now back to the thread...;)

11. zachbass02

zachbass02 One Hairy....squatch.

Jan 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    how does the rogue compare the epiphone viola version? I played an epi in the local GC the other day and was suprised by the growl I managed to coax out it through an Ampeg SVT-3 pro head. I had the workers coming up saying they hadn't heard that bass quite like that before. I was thinking about picking one up, but they're a little more than the rogues. I'll be curious to know how you like the rogue

12. predmachine

predmachine

Feb 23, 2006
    I have one of the Rogue Violin Basses and I love it too. Its limited in what it can do, but it does the old Beatle stuff very well. I use it for "I Want to Hold Your Hand'" and "Can't Buy Me Love". By hte way, these go over great for the venues I play since everybody and their dog knows the words. The Rogue also has a good acoustic tone, so you can sit around the house in the evening and watch TV while you practice scales.

13. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    I've never tried the Epi, but it wouldn't surprise me a bit if they are the exact same instrument made by that company in Korea that markets under ESP, Epiphone, Rogue, etc. Anyway, the Rogue is a beautifully finished, great bass guitar - high quality tuners - good electronics from what I can see. And with rounds, this thing will hold it's own as far as getting a growly tone. It's a hollow body bass, so it's not a P bass or a Sadowsky, but I absolutely love it for what it is.

14. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Oh BTW - I've been playing mine through an SVT-II w/SVT-410HLF. Wrong. I never realized how much the amp influences the tone of any bass guitar. You will not get anything remotely similar to a Beatles tone using an Ampeg....maybe a B2R or something SS, but not anything really SVT'ish, IMHO. I'm gonna buy a used GK, like a 1001RB or RB-II for this bass because I want something that doesn't color the tone much, plus the guy I saw in the Beatles tribute band was using a GK with (believe or not) a Hartke 4X10, and it sounded dead on Beatles.

15. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I tried out an Epi for a little bit last month. I'm a huge Beatles fan, and my band does quite a few early Beatles songs in our first set. I thought busting out a "Beatle Bass" for that section of music would be kind of cool. I was dissapointed.
    The bass sounded great in the store and at home. I put some flats on it and it seemed to have that McCartney thump. I took it to a rehearsal, and it just died in the mix, no matter what EQ settings I tried. It also felt very cheap. Needless to say, it went back. I can't imagine the Rogue, etc. will be any better in a band mix.

16. Alex E

Alex E

Mar 2, 2006
    I've heard similar things about the Epi.

I'll tell you though, a friend lent me their Rogue VB and I had no problems whatsoever cutting through a mix consisting a Fender Strat, a boosted Gibson Acoustic/Electric (lots of signal for an acoustic/elec.), a Roland D50 and Roland VS Drums. Vocals on top of that and the bass signal still cut through easily.

I've read on this and other websites about people having absolutely no problems with the Rogue VB (other than getting the intonation spot-on) and I've also read of others having problems with faulty electronics.

The Rogue I borrowed played well. The neck was impressively straight and the action was easy to depress and no fret buzz. The electronics seemed very dependable: knobs and switches were smooth and no crackling. It does 'feel' like a better quality insrument than the $200 new on Musicians Friend. It is a pretty instrument, too. I think much prettier than online pictures.

The tone with rounds was probably more versatile, but I'd have liked it more with flats for more of the Beatles true sound. I guess time will tell for the owners of these basses, but for what you pay, I think these are good basses if you want a 60s/beatles/folk-country acoustic sound. Not a lot of variance in the sound, but it can even do a passable sound on more modern music that's not dependant upon slap or rap.

My two cents for ya.