1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I'm totally new to bass playing and I need some help

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kaos, Mar 21, 2006.

1. Kaos

Kaos

Mar 21, 2006
    I'm wanting to start and I don't even have a bass yet. I thought since I'm starting I would look for a bass in the $150-$200 price range. Please make suggestions, I want to try and get the best instrument for my money. Also, I already have a very nice Ibanez bass amp.

2. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    Usually there's someone who'll come in and say get an SX...

...and I'm glad to say I'm the first person to do so!

http://www.rondomusic.com

I don't own one myself, but people compare it to an entry level Fender. And for that price, that's very good. I myself would say get a Spector, only because I got myself one and it's awesome. But you'd have to save up to around $300. If you wanna get started right away, I say go with the SX.

3. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    SX or Squier Affinity P-Bass

4. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    Yamaha is also a great choice in that price range.

5. Kaos

Kaos

Mar 21, 2006
  6. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    IMHO, The only thing I see that would turn me off, is that body is made Agathis. The Squire Affinity and SX have Alder bodys, which produce better tone.

7. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    I wouldn't exactly recommend a Squier. It's not what you'd say is alot of bang for your buck.

8. IMHO go out and see which bass feels the best to you in your price range. Get something which feels comfortable in your hands, make sure you like the neck. This will help you to learn quicker and make playing more fun. Once you get a good taste of playing you develop your own preferences in equipment. I also recommend finding a good teacher and taking some lessons to get down the basics when starting out. It can help you progress much faster then trying out on your own.

9. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    I second with Big Cadillac.

And if you want to learn how to play some songs then I HIGHLY recommend you getting a program called Power Tab. You just get that then go get find the files of the songs you want to learn (www.ultimateguitar.com is where you should go). It's shows the tabs (both guitar and bass), plays them in a Midi file so you can see what goes where, and best of all it's FREE. Seriously after I got it I learned a few songs alot quicker.

10. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    You have a Squire, and you don't recommend it:confused:

So, what would you recommend?

11. I agree with wdinc01. Power Tabs is a good program to use in order to learn songs. I've used it a bunch. Just beware that all tabs are not created equal. There are good ones and those not so good.

12. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    The SX.

I mean, the Squier's alright for a first bass. But I dunno, I guess I just expect more. That's why I got me a Spector. Really it's good to learn on. Then after about six months you realise there's better sounding basses out there. And for the price, you arn't getting alot of bang for your buck, I don't think. But I still love mine.

13. hate to be the one to dissagree... but i am...

I would higly suggest learning to play things with your ears... sure, its not going to be as fast as getting tabs off the internet (or where ever you get them)... but in the long run, i feel it will not only make you better at learning songs quickly, but be able to land more gigs, and have more fun doing it...

using your ear to associate intervals with tones on the neck is something that is hard to come by these days... if you start from the begining learning by ear, and work hard at it, you will eventually be able to play along with songs youve never heard before... wouldnt that be awesome? not having to look up tabs or be really confused? i mean... its just something that in the end, you may or may not get... but why not start in a way to make it 100% more possible?

I would get into a long rant about how I dont agree with the idea of tabs frankly because i feel that its unnessisary to, and, lots of people might not like me for it... i mean, theres just things you cant get from tabs... and you can from you ears...

at frist, using your ears may seem hard... but if your playing relitvely simple basslines (one noters, or at least bass lines where one note could be the bassline) than theres only 12 possible notes they will/can be playing... most of the time loads less than that...

its alot easyer than you think...

the more time you spend at it, the more you will get out of it... ripping a couple tabs off the net in 5 seconds cant be compaired to spending 5 minutes learning a song or riff... think about it... five minutes... what else are you going to do? its just five minutes to come up with what the tabs are (and in some cases are-not) going to give you... in which you will learn to play things by ear and instinct... rather than just read it off a page... think about what the people that posted the tabs had to do to get them... LISTEN...

so to me, I dont think its a waste of time to just learn songs from cd or with a group...

not at all...

oh yes... and for a bass... I would say the SX with the sunburst finish... its smokin, and can be compaired to basses that are way more expensive...