Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I'm totaly new to pickups and i need to kno....

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Bob Clayton, Sep 23, 2002.

1. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    What pickups to get for a Crate Electra Solid Body Bass? i went on the site and i know that they are P-bass Style pickups...look at the pic for detail...im totally new to pickups so anyhelp would be great...thanks...

bp13

2. Why do you want to replace the pickup...does is sound bad? What kind of music do you play and what kind of sound are you looking for? Do you plan to keep the bass or sell it? The Crate bass you show is a relatively inexpensive "starter" bass but sounds okay in my opinion (my son has one, so I am very familiar with it). Unless you plan to keep the bass for a long time, I would advise against dumping a lot of money into modifications because, when you sell it, you won't get much more for the bass than you would if you had left it stock.

3. sirgrooveholic

sirgrooveholic

Sep 26, 2002
    Well I guess if it's a passive bass so Bartolini 8's for precion bass would get that clear bottom end sound. Probably you have to change preamp same brand, if you want that your bass was more versatile get preamp that has 3 or more eq knobs like bass/treble/mid fq/blender.

You should try for right now try some inexpensive ways to improve your sound good idea get some good strings and keep trying until you find the ones that fits your taste.

4. Bob Clayton

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    it is a starter bass...but i love it...honestly, i wanna keep it forever, not just cuz its my first bass, but because i like it better that sime 500 dollar basses i've played...

i play punk music...im looking for kind of like a poppy punky sound...kinda like the ones hoppus uses...i dunno what kind he uses...but i want a poppy sound....its kinda hard to explain...

bp13

5. Seymour Duncan Quarter pound pbass pickup! thats the one that Mark guy uses and its a really good pickup.

6. Bob Clayton

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    ok ill look into em...any idea on a price?

bp13

7. Basslines p-bass pickups, like in the Hoppus bass?

I really want to try that bass out one of these days.:cool:

8. QP's can generally be bought for abour $60.