Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I'm tremelo'ed out!

Discussion in 'Orchestral Technique [DB]' started by Marcus Johnson, May 10, 2003.

1. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I'm in the middle of a run of Maury Yeston's "Phantom" for a week. Mr. Yeston goes a little nuts with the tremelo, especially in the second act. LONG periods of ppp tremelo under dialog.

How do you folks stay loose during these sections? I'm sounding ok, just trying to make it more efficient.

2. EFischer1

EFischer1 Guest

Mar 17, 2002
    New York, New York
    Stay as far out towards the tip as is humanly possible. Finger action can be helpful in saving your arm, but no matter how you slice it extended periods of tremelo are brutal. Good Luck.

3. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Thanks, E. I did two shows yesterday, two more today. On the second one, I did the unthinkable and switched to German grip for that section (I bow French). Got me thru ok.

4. You're on to something there. If the left hand gets tired think about relaxing the right hand, and then the left will relax too.

German bow hold is definitely more relaxed, as well as more powerful for power-kind-of-music, so keep switching around....

I switch bows a lot, and feel a great amount is learned from becoming capable on both bow types.

5. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    It actually felt pretty good. I have limited experience with the German bow, but now I'm thinking of getting one. I've been wanting to try some composites anyway, so maybe I'll go for it this time around.