Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I'm trying to make a bass...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Greg Johnsen, May 1, 2005.

1. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    Hey all, I've designed a bass and I perosonally think it's pretty good. I am trying to make this bass, but I need some suggestions on what to use. I want to use an EB humbucker, and a J pickup. What kind of wood should I use for the body and the neck, or should I buy a previously made neck and modify it? and what electronics should I use, I want a 3 band EQ, so if you have a good company that I should use, I would appreciate it if you told me.

How much does it cost to make a custom bass? I'm expecting around 300-500 dollars.

If you want a picture of the drawing, I'll take one and put it up here.

Greg

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I cannot speculate cost, but if you buy lumber yard hardwoods, cut & shape & finish everything yourself... maybe.

for woods, Maple for the neck, Alder, Ash or Mahogany for the body are all pretty standard... but there are many many many choices beyond those. I'd assume if you are going to build a bass, you'd have a bit of woodworking know-how... what woods do you like working with and what woods give the tone you like?

as far as the commercial offer for the drawing of the shape... please re read the "CUP" (Commercial User Policy) and also the ruled for the "Classified" section of this site.

3. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    uhh, where are those rules, and what do you mean by them (I'm new here, can you tell?)

thanks,
    Greg

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    yeah, I noticed... Welcome to TalkBass!

you should have agreed to the rules and regulations at sign up. Though you may have clicked past it all like I usually do :p

in the top bar is link that reads "Rules & FAQ" which brings you here

also each sub section has certain extra rules where needed. They will be 'stickied' to the top of the section.

What kind of bass(es) do you play now?

5. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    I currently play a crappy Squier Standard bass, I'm going to buy a Stingray soon however, and thanks.

Greg

6. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Bodies are A LOT simpler to make than necks. Consider buying a prefabricated neck from Warmoth (good but expensive) or someone else (Is Subway guitars still around?), and make the body yourself. Or look on the classifieds here and on Ebay for a neck.

Making a body is pretty simple. I found Poplar to be an easy to find, easy to work, and good sounding wood for an amateur project. With lumber you can get most places, you'll need to do a 2-peice body, so invest in a few cam clamps. Just get a 6' x 8" x 2" piece of lumber, cut it into 2 3' pieces, put them side by side and glue them up with titebond. If you know someone with a joiner that will run them through for you the joint will be better, but with a good piece of lumber its not neccesary.

You can also buy "body blanks", which would save you even more work.

For pickups, hardware, and electronics ... I'd suggest "bottom feeding" ... look on ebay and the classified sites for things people are selling cheap. That way you'll get some decent components without shelling out a bunch of money (when theres a decent chance you're going to fry things with the soldering gun anyway ;) )

7. Broach_insound

Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    are you new to playing bass aswell?

8. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    Thanks for the help Pickles, With a body plank, would it be easy for me to use my drummel to modify the body so it looks like I want it to? And is it easy to paint the parts? I do think I'll go with an already made neck, then I'll just modify the head to my preference, if there is anything else I should know then please tell me, I'm thinking about buying a bass, and making one on the side, and I haven't been playing bass for a year yet, so I'm quite new.

Greg