1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Im unsure of the proper head to get HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by newbie_Bass, Apr 22, 2006.

1. newbie_Bass

newbie_Bass

Apr 22, 2006
    hi im new to the whole bass thing, i have been a guitar player for 7 years and i am picking up bass to go on tour with a friends band and i have this old peavy 2ohm bass cab, with 4 12' speakers, and im not sure what kind of head to get or if this cab is complete junk, any help u could give me I would really appreciate,

Andrew

2. newbie_Bass

newbie_Bass

Apr 22, 2006
    what im really unsure of is matching the ohms, because i cant seem to find any 2 ohm heads

3. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    I've never heard of any 2 ohm cabs made by Peavey. You might want to double check that.

If you open it up and the speakers have square magnets, it's pretty old and probably not worth much.

There are heads and power amps that will push 2 ohm loads, but they are not the most common.

4. newbie_Bass

newbie_Bass

Apr 22, 2006
    well will the 2ohm cab put out a lot of volume? if i get the right head?

5. newbie_Bass

newbie_Bass

Apr 22, 2006
    i didnt see any magnets but the nback has one input and it says 2ohms

6. bass_extremes

bass_extremes

Jul 9, 2005
    2ohms will give you the most power. I think that kustom groove bass head will do 1200watts at 2 ohms. But then you would have to see if you cab could handle that much power

7. newbie_Bass

newbie_Bass

Apr 22, 2006
    oh cool,, do u know of any fair priced heads that i could use and put out alot of volume,, i need it to be fair amount because ill be playing alot of live shows and i need it to be loud :bassist: hehe

8. Carvin B800 or B1500, Kustom GrooveBass 1200.

9. newbie_Bass

newbie_Bass

Apr 22, 2006
    thanks alot for all the help!:hyper:

10. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    You are discribing the Mesa 400+.
    If your cab is 2 ohm. you may be able to have your cab rewired to 4/8 ohm.
    Take your cab with you, and try out as many amps as you can find, to see what sounds best to you.

11. LarryO

LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    as said earlier the kustom groove bass and carvin amps, but dont forget the Peavey Max 700 (firebass), Pro 500, T Max, Max 450 (nitrobass), old peavey mark series amps,also look for the Faq sticky, there is a link to amps that will do 2 ohms

12. sedan_dad

sedan_dad Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    If your going on tour and you need volume and operate at 2 ohms,I'd say SVT.

13. BadB

BadB

May 25, 2005
    AZ, USA
    Best head I've ever played through. Can be had for around $800 on ebay. The 400 is awesome, too. Different tube set-up.

14. bass_extremes

bass_extremes

Jul 9, 2005
    but like I said before make sure that if you pick up the kustom that the cab can handle the watts so you dont blow anything up. and I bet the mesa would be nice also.

15. You don't need to know the exact power rating of your cab, just listen to it when you push it, any breakup means that you should turn down.

16. Whats the price range? What kind of sound do you want? What style of music do you play? Are there any weight limitations?

17. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    Hey BadB, I sent you a pm.