1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

i'm upgrading my rig! woot!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Johnny5, Apr 2, 2006.

1. Johnny5

Johnny5

Mar 5, 2006
    Calgary, Canada
    Alright, here's what's going down.
    I've got an Ampeg BA210 combo (not the one with digital effects) and I really like the sound, but I want more power so I want to go bigger, but not necessarily much bigger. My thoughts are to trade in the combo and grab probably an Ampeg B2RE or SVT350 (or even an SVT450 - ideally 350-400 watts), and seperate 210 and 115 cabs (210 for practice, then add the 115 for shows). I was also considering the SWR Goliath Jr. 210 cabs, but haven't researched enough on their 115's or heads in my wattage range.
    Thoughts? What are good cabs to pair with an Ampeg head besides Ampeg cabs?

2. seakamp

seakamp

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago
    Ah, the upgrading. It never stops :smug:

The Goliath JR is a great cab. It has the typical SWR sizzle that you either love or hate. I used to pair a Goliath JR with an Ampeg 210HE. All the warmth from the Ampeg and the sizzle from the SWR, it was a pretty cool little sonic pairing.

Those two cabs were getting powered by my SVT-3PRO. Thats a great sounding head there with plenty of power for many situations. I'd suggest trying as many cabs as you can so you can get an idea of each manufacturers cab voicing and see what suits you best.

Cabs that I used with my SVT-3PRO are... sunn, ampeg, and swr. All sounded fantastic in their own way. It really is more dependant on what sound YOU are looking for. Sizzly, warm, more neutral, etc...