Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I'm upgrading

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pharcyde, May 25, 2001.

1. I'm fixing to upgrade basses and i'm trying to decide between and ibanez btb1005, spector ns2000 5-string, or warwick streamer standard. I need all the help i can get cuz i'm short on $ and stuck between these basses.

2. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Short on money? Can you afford all 3 of these (individually)?

If so, which one feels best to you? Which one sounds best to you (I mean, through YOUR amp, and in YOUR playing applications)?

That's your answer.

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Yeah. What RAM said.

There's really only what's good for you.

4. Well i also am trading in my old ibanez and that's like $500 off. They all fit my style and sound good and look great. I've played them all and they all have pro's and cons. I'm just asking for other people's opinions because i'm stuck.

5. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Okay, that's cool. Tell us where your stuck. What are the pros and cons, as you see them.

6. btb pros: looks great, not real heavy, plays
    good
    cons: lack of color varities and sounds kinda
    thin
    spector pros: looks good, sounds good, and low
    price
    cons: big neck, not many colors to choose
    from, and lack of good eq controls like
    btb
    warwick pros: looks good, plays good, thin neck,
    lots of colors, good eq, and good
    pups
    cons: EXPENSIVE

7. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Ah...very interesting takes on these instruments! I've personally heard a lot of people complain that Spector necks are like baseball bats, and I've got comments (of course!!!!:D)

1. I thought so, at first. Now, I can't imagine anything else;)

2. I played a new Spector last weekend that had a neck that felt like an Ibanez :)eek:) which proves that no two are alike.

3. You like the tone...that's a consideration.

Also, in regards to the BTB having a thin tone, you can do one of two things: add an outboard preamp such as Fodera or Sadowsy or Aguilar and hope that changes the problem. Or you can swap all the electronics out. But, that gets expensive after no time!

At that point, you've spent your money on either a Spector that you may or may not get used to, or you've spent more than you're otherwise inclined to on a Warwick.

The two have very distinctive sounds, and only you can decide what you like better. I'm personally partial to only one of those (and it won't take a brain surgeon to figure out which). But, not everybody sees it the way I do (because they're all wrong:D)

8. Thank you guys for your help, it's really all up to me cuz like you said it really just what i like so i'll just decide on day when i get the rest of the money. I may find a new bass i like before then anyways.