1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I'm very close to selling all my gear and forgetting about it.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Mike Money, Apr 15, 2006.

1. Mike Money

Mike Money In Memoriam

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Every band I've ever been in has never made it out of the garage.

Every band I've ever lined up an audition for has bailed on me for one reason or another.

Every band that has just up and offered me a position has been a complete joke, and never went anywhere anyways.

I'm far from the most creative guy in the world. I stick to roots and just keep the rythm and time going... Even if I could be flashy, I wouldn't because I don't like doing it. My playing is all about support, and filling sonic space.

I got an email last week from one of the bigger cover outfits in town saying they needed a new bassist... learn these songs... come audition wednesday. $100 a show.

FANTASTIC!

So, I learn the tunes... Ring my bell, higher ground, and boogie oogie oogie... nothing difficult at all. I was ready to go... In the email, they said that "Our bassist, Doc, is no longer with us." So you know, I figured he died.

I got an e-mail today saying Doc had changed his mind and was back with the group. Figures. And they asked me if I would remain on "Stand by". Ya. Sure. Why the hell not. I can always hope this guy proves to be a flake once again, right?

In 6 years, I've performed in marching band shows, drumline shows, jazz band shows, and once at the county fair with my friends jazz group.

In 6 years, ive only been shut down, denied, dissappointed, or ditched.

I just don't see the point anymore...

Maybe its time to buckle down and join some screamo or hardcore band...

2. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Don't give up...always take the trial and make it for the best; otherwise you've given up and have lost already.

Screamo ain't too bad for music though...:p

3. I guess I'm surprised to see that one of the biggest bands in the area only pays $100 per gig. Sounds like they were hosing you from the get-go. Maybe it wasn't a bad thing that you didn't end up with the gig.

4. So..What kind of gear are you looking to sell?

No seriously, Dont give up, Most musicians go through many bands. In that situation, Since the bass player chose to come back to the band doesnt mean that he will stay.. Obviously he had reasons for leaving, give it some time, he will probably leave again.. Stand by could be a good thing. If the band asked you to stand by, its probably because he probably WILL leave again. Dont just stand by and wait for this band to call you. Start your own band...

5. Packing it in all before the age of 19, that's a shame.

6. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    Meh..I'm 31 and I'm still going strong. I didn't get into this band until I was 30, and now we've got the ball rolling.

I've been playing for 15 years, mind you. With a ton of hiatus time in between bands. Just be patient.

7. Basso Gruvitas

Basso Gruvitas Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Dallas/Ft. Worth TX

+1

I'm 43 and I never "made it". I'm playing music because I love doing it. Mike, for every bassist that has his picture on a CD, there are 15,000 that didn't make it. Don't look at music as such an all-or-nothing proposition. Don't worry that bands that you join don't "make it". Most don't. Just enjoy what you're doing - do it because you love it. Work on yourself as a musician. All the rest will take care of itself.

I come from a musical family, I was raised in music - supposed to be an "Eastman Kid" like my dad. I was a music major, won scholarships, worked on a Master's Degree in Music.....do you know what I do now? I work in radio and I play Girl From Ipanema on the weekends.

What's my point? Things don't always go the way you plan. Go with the flow and play bass because you enjoy it. Life is short.

Hope this helps.

8. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    Moving might help.

9. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Mr Money, most bands do not make it out of the garage. Of those that do, most of them don't survive a year, if that long. Even if they do, they usually undergo a variety of personnel changes.

I know it is so darned hard to find a band that clicks. Been through the "one garage band after another" thing myself for a long time and I nearly quit too. Finally the tide turned.

But if you feel too frustrated now, take a little time off and see if you miss the playing and miss the music. I bet that after awhile, you will feel refreshed and want to try again. Anyway, don't sell your equipment even if you do take a break. what will you do if you change your mind later?

10. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Much too young to give up, Mike. Sometimes these things take some time. I have gone on hiatus from being in bands for quite a few years, but I kept playing, because I love playing music.

The band thing will work out. It just doesn't come overnight sometimes.

11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Do what I just did ... put your own band together. I ran ads in our local free paper (The Reader) and gathered up some very talented people with the same goals. I was very explicit as to music, style, types of gigs, age and NO DRUGS. So now we're a band with lead guitar, rhythm guitar, keyboards, bass and drums. This will be the best band I've ever been in. You can do it, too.

Besides, I don't need a TNT.

12. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Just don't move to my town. There are no good bands here. Anywhere.

But it would be stupid to give up... are you going to college/university? I'm sure there are tonnes of musicians there. At least, that's what I'm hoping for when I go.

Graeme

13. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    It's called, 'Paying your dues"

We all go through it.

14. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Don't get so flusterd. A lot of good points have been made. Heck I had to move and started taking lessons again just to have an instuctor to jam with.
    I'll get something together eventually and so will you. I'll bet like most of us your in it for the music anyway. Making a living at this is more luck than talent.
    Keep your chin up.
    I'm just about to do what Munji did, only in the next city 30 miles away. Not much here.

15. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger.
    Practice practice practice, it will probably lead you to success.

16. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    It's cool Mike, just be patient. Not everyone can be Hanson. :D

-Mike

17. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'm actually going through a very similar thing, long time between bands, just got hosed by two bands. One I'm a fan of the guitarist's solo work, well paying gig. He offered me a chance to audition but it's been three months since then, haven't gotten a single demo tape, even after asking him a few times.

The other band just doesn't care enough, and I was apparently the only one committed enough to the band to show up to rehersals. That band dropped like a lead balloon before the first rehearsal.

I know what you mean.

I'm not quitting, I'm temporarilly concentrating on guitar :)

18. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I hear ya, I'm secretly doing the same. I'll take a gig playing either or.:ninja:

19. aarono

aarono

Feb 14, 2006
    Minnesota
    God Damnit kid, keep with it! I don't care what they say, you can make it.

20. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    ...I could take the G&L.