Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I'm very confused about head and cab compatability.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Stanley Design, Feb 6, 2004.

1. I bought a cab, that is 500 watts at 8ohms. What would a head that is 210 at 4ohms and 300 at 2ohms do to it?

2. you want to match the impedane. if you have a 8 ohm cab, you want a head that can play 8 ohms.

3. So what would be an affordable head? (under $300 canadian preferably)

4. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    It will probably only be pushing about 150 watts into the cab. Depending on your application you may need more power. Your not going to hurt anything as long as you don't push the amp too hard.

5. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    What kind of head do you have now?

6. None, but I was thinking of getting a Mark III or IV off ebay or something. I don't have a clue. I just want something that works, has some tone settings, some power, some strength, and preferrably dual imputs.

7. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    Just about every amp will run an 8 ohm cab with no problem. In the $300 and under range I'd recommend a GK 400RB or a SWR Studio 220.

8. Except for Ebay, for under $300 Canadian, you really can't get anything. Believe me, I'm trying to score a head myself right now, and the only thing I can find with decent power around that price range is an used Yorkville 400b for $350 (the older model of the current Yorkville head).

9. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Don't know what the other rigs run cost wise but QSC power amps run 2,4, or 8 ohm and are very reasonable and popular. Nothing fancy - two volumes knobs.

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Those aren't volume knobs on power amps. They control the output level of the amp. Sure, the amp will be louder when they are turned up, but they should not be viewed as a volume knob.

-Mike

11. let me get this straight, the wattage on the head, like a 300W head is what it can amplify the sound to, 300W?

12. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    Indiana
    Keep an eye out for the great deals, but I'm going to recommend saving up until you can afford an amp that will put out a little more power at 8 ohm.

I think a really good starter amp is the SWR Bass 350 (either the old chrome faced or older red faced). They do 240w @ 8 ohm and 350w at 4 ohm. If your patient, you can usually find these for $350USD, maybe a little less.

Another option would be Gallien Krueger amps, either the 700 (225w @ 8 ohm, 380w @ 4 ohm) or the 800RB (200w @ 8 ohm, 300w @ 4 ohm). Also, the Ashdown MAG 200 and 400 are nice amps.

It also depends on exactly which speaker cabinet you have. Some cabinets are more efficient than others, and the driver configuration can also have an impact (4x10 or 2x10 or 1x15, etc.)

I have a Gibson GB440 head (about 300w @ 8 ohm, 400w @ 4 ohm) that I got for somewhere around $300USD. It's an awesome amp, not too common, and is the basis for the Thunderfunk heads that are now selling for twice that much. Keep an eye out for the Gibson GB440 (or the similar AMP BH420) that show up on ebay.