1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I'm want to drill my MIJ Fender Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by petersenbass, Apr 6, 2009.

1. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I thought the title might get some attention to my question.

I just got a great deal on a 1988-98 MIJ Fender Jazz Bass.
    I have a pickup cover I'd like to put on it. The pickguard has the screw holes, but the holes are not drilled. Is there any certain way I should drill them? Should i just choose the appropriate sized bit and go ahead?

Also, the bass has two knicks down to the wood. Both are
    1 sq cm or smaller. It's an olympic white paint job. Is there
    a way to simply protect these knicks from growing? A little white primer? Should I leave it alone and call it a Relic?

Lastly, I'm thinking of dropping in an Audre Z3 into it......
    I'd like to have some EQ/blend options, but still be able to get a old-school vibe.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Attached Files:

2. bh2

bh2

Jun 16, 2008
    Oxford, UK
    Yes... just drill them out... use a smaller size bit than you think is right, just to get the screws to bite. I'd leave the nicks, all part of the mojo.

I put a J Retro in mine... it blew me away!

BTW... your bass is invisible without piccys!

3. Attempted touch-ups and repairs to dings and dents always seem to look worse than the ding or dent would have. Personally, I'd just leave them and consider them a part of the bass' character.

4. I guess the nicks won't cause any major problems.One is on the body right on the neck joint. I love it so far. I've been playing either a 5 or 6 string for the last several years. It's nice to own a 4banger again!

I have access to a Audere 3-band on a jazz plate(JZ3) for a good price....hmmm

5. I love the Oly White/tort combination, especially with a rosewood board. I can honestly say that's the only time I think tort is the best choice in a pickguard. Nice looking piece of equipment you have there.

6. bh2

bh2

Jun 16, 2008
    Oxford, UK
    Yes... a beaut! Post piccys when you've done the mods.

7. emblymouse

emblymouse exempt Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    Lakland Artist Endorser
    If you are concerned with finish damage spreading, rather than a touch up you might try super glue under the paint edges if they are loose. Use a pin or a hypo. Phil Kubicki did this on a bass I sent him, a neat trick if you are careful.

You jazz is pretty, I am partial to that combo.:D

DSCF0045.

8. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Why do you need a p'up cover? It looks good the way it is... And with the irrational appreciation that Fenders get, I'd not change a thing.

9. It turns out I forgot I gave the pickup cover to someone else. I realized it after I looked for it for an hour :)

I just got an Audere installed, and I'm happy. I'm going to forget the pup cover.

QUESTION... the only thing left I want to do is get rid of some slight imperfections
    on the back of the neck. Can I just use 0000 steel wool to clear up the neck?
    What does one use to make it a satin finish???

10. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Awh man, my post got deleted. My bad, it was dirty.

Im having the same problem. I want to drill into my Geddy. I plan on keeping it with me forever..

11. emblymouse

emblymouse exempt Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    Lakland Artist Endorser
    Yes, I've done this and it works like a charm.