1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I'm wasting time here....

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Oct 10, 2004.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    ....starting a bounch of pointless threads because I'm avoiding doing what I need to do. Finish learning about 10 songs for a rehearsal I have tomorrow with a band I just started playing with.

So I wanted to start a new thread on avoidance, or commitment to practice, or whatever you want to call it. Do you waste more time on the computer than spend productive time practicing the bass? I do. Not the first time I'm posting this. Why do you avoid practicing, if you do? I think I do because I somehow think I'm NOT going to be able to get all the material down that I need to and therefore don't want to face it. A little self defeating, ay? Blah, blah, blah..... I just need to actually get started.

Once I plug my bass in I'll be fine.

How bout ya'll ramble a bit about wasting time when you could be practicing or doing other, more productive things.

2. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I have an audition with a show / horn band in a few hours... Six tunes that I was given on Thursday / Friday that I could be working on getting a bit tighter... I sat down to print out driving directions, surfed to TB, was going to post something but procrastinated until I saw this thread on procrastination :D

-robert

3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Sometimes I avoid practicing just 'cause I've already played a LOT that day. I'm in a program at school where we have our instruments there every day, and we play constantly -- during breaks between classes, we break off and jam while eating, and then I've got a spare last period which I often spend jamming with one or two other people in the program or this one drummer who's not but has a spare period at the same time. As a result, I play my bass a whole freakin' lot -- that's not even factoring in band practice, concert/jazz band rehearsals or lessons (two a week with two different teachers). But now that I'm playing my bass THAT much, when I get home, I usually don't even bother taking it out of the bag. I have to bring my amp to my lessons on Saturdays, so I usually take my Microbass out from under my computer desk where it normally resides for bedroom practice. I haven't even bothered putting it back yet. It'd take all of three minutes to get it in here and have my bass tuned up, but I just really don't feel like practicing.

Self-defeating? Yeah, it is...I've done almost no work on my solo stuff, which is bad, considering I'm supposed to have finished a pro-quality demo in a couple months for class. The only music I've been working on lately has been group stuff -- I just got the final piece of the puzzle I needed to start doing a new arrangement of Honeysuckle Rose. Before, I was working on grooves with the band and chord progressions for a sax/bass thing I want to get started on soon. When I finish the arrangement of Honeysuckle Rose, I'm going to be writing a vocal/bass/hand drum thing with a singer/songwriter friend of mine, and then more stuff with the band. As a result, I've only got about half of my solo stuff even written, and I can't even be bothered to finish it.

4. Tony Canevaro

Tony Canevaro

Jan 4, 2004
    I have a Tee-Shirt that reads:

TOP 10 REASONS TO PROCRASTINATE:

5. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I wouldn't exactly say that I avoid practice, but I often feel like I'm just wasting my time.. I mean, I like playing and I love playing with good musicians, but i don't have anybody to play with here. I think I should get a good music program or something.

6. Heres a couple of good sites for music programs www.visionmusic.com
    http://www.pgmusic.com
    I use these for jamming practice since im not in a band oh download band in the box on the pgmusic site anyway getting back to the orginal quote on Im wasting time here ......etc.
    I find that im not wasting my time when im browsing TB cause I learn alot of infomation ( ie. I find different sites from others, good ideas on certain subjects etc )
    But thats just me besides I agree with others nothing beats practicing
    Bottom line is use the computer for an advantage to yourself just pick up any helpful tips and use it in a positive way to help you grow musically ( e.g I found out some good slap reading exercises that someone shared and I used it as a technique practice ritual )
    :bassist: