I'm wasting time here....

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Oct 10, 2004.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    ....starting a bounch of pointless threads because I'm avoiding doing what I need to do. Finish learning about 10 songs for a rehearsal I have tomorrow with a band I just started playing with.

So I wanted to start a new thread on avoidance, or commitment to practice, or whatever you want to call it. Do you waste more time on the computer than spend productive time practicing the bass? I do. Not the first time I'm posting this. Why do you avoid practicing, if you do? I think I do because I somehow think I'm NOT going to be able to get all the material down that I need to and therefore don't want to face it. A little self defeating, ay? Blah, blah, blah..... I just need to actually get started.

Once I plug my bass in I'll be fine.

How bout ya'll ramble a bit about wasting time when you could be practicing or doing other, more productive things.
  2. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I have an audition with a show / horn band in a few hours... Six tunes that I was given on Thursday / Friday that I could be working on getting a bit tighter... I sat down to print out driving directions, surfed to TB, was going to post something but procrastinated until I saw this thread on procrastination :D

3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Sometimes I avoid practicing just 'cause I've already played a LOT that day. I'm in a program at school where we have our instruments there every day, and we play constantly -- during breaks between classes, we break off and jam while eating, and then I've got a spare last period which I often spend jamming with one or two other people in the program or this one drummer who's not but has a spare period at the same time. As a result, I play my bass a whole freakin' lot -- that's not even factoring in band practice, concert/jazz band rehearsals or lessons (two a week with two different teachers). But now that I'm playing my bass THAT much, when I get home, I usually don't even bother taking it out of the bag. I have to bring my amp to my lessons on Saturdays, so I usually take my Microbass out from under my computer desk where it normally resides for bedroom practice. I haven't even bothered putting it back yet. It'd take all of three minutes to get it in here and have my bass tuned up, but I just really don't feel like practicing.

Self-defeating? Yeah, it is...I've done almost no work on my solo stuff, which is bad, considering I'm supposed to have finished a pro-quality demo in a couple months for class. The only music I've been working on lately has been group stuff -- I just got the final piece of the puzzle I needed to start doing a new arrangement of Honeysuckle Rose. Before, I was working on grooves with the band and chord progressions for a sax/bass thing I want to get started on soon. When I finish the arrangement of Honeysuckle Rose, I'm going to be writing a vocal/bass/hand drum thing with a singer/songwriter friend of mine, and then more stuff with the band. As a result, I've only got about half of my solo stuff even written, and I can't even be bothered to finish it.
  4. Tony Canevaro

Tony Canevaro

Jan 4, 2004
    I have a Tee-Shirt that reads:

5. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I wouldn't exactly say that I avoid practice, but I often feel like I'm just wasting my time.. I mean, I like playing and I love playing with good musicians, but i don't have anybody to play with here. I think I should get a good music program or something.
  6. Heres a couple of good sites for music programs www.visionmusic.com
    I use these for jamming practice since im not in a band oh download band in the box on the pgmusic site anyway getting back to the orginal quote on Im wasting time here ......etc.
    I find that im not wasting my time when im browsing TB cause I learn alot of infomation ( ie. I find different sites from others, good ideas on certain subjects etc )
    But thats just me besides I agree with others nothing beats practicing
    Bottom line is use the computer for an advantage to yourself just pick up any helpful tips and use it in a positive way to help you grow musically ( e.g I found out some good slap reading exercises that someone shared and I used it as a technique practice ritual )