1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I'm weak...oh so very weak....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jacochops, Apr 25, 2006.

1. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Bryan, TX
    I think I'm getting a callous on the finger I keep using to pull the trigger on more basses.:rollno: I just snagged an F Bass BN4 from Juan Ortiz on basses-electric-acoustic.com. It's trans purple, and in fantastic shape. I've had a BN5 before, but the rare and elusive BN4 is hard to find. Ironically enough, there's also one up for sale at the Atlanta Bass Gallery...for 400 more. So, I'm a happy camper, for now. ;) Let's see how it gets along with my new CB bass (which I'm falling deeper in love with as the days pass....seriously a GREAT friggin' bass).
    Anyone here able to post a pic of the bass from Juan's site? Me technological neanderthal...ug.

Y'all dig? What'choo think?

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Trans purple, nice :) Is it maple fingerboard?

3. Hyde

Hyde

Mar 30, 2006
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Is this it? That thing is gorgeous!

4. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Royal, Oak, MI.
    AAAHHHHH MY EYES!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    AAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    nice!

6. GRoberts

GRoberts

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Congratulate your trigger finger. You did GOOOD! Real GOOD! That's a beauty. Is that a one piece neck? Very nice figure on the FB as well as the back of the neck.

7. SamJ

SamJ Founder - Fender MIA Club

Apr 22, 2006
    PDX / SFO / HNL
    At least he's into quality, not just quantity.. I've got a friend who's got 11 basses... you'ld think his music room was that of a famous rock star.. but they're all $200-$400 Chinese, and Korean and Mexican made substandard instruments..

8. Oh lord it's hideous. The only place I could bury it where no prying eyes could see it would be my backyard. You had better send it my way, and fast.

9. TheMightyQuinn

TheMightyQuinn

Dec 26, 2005
    Minnesota
    I love purple basses! And the matching wood covers really hold everything together....wonderful. Enjoy!

10. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Congrats on your new F Bass; it's sweet.

Juan is a great guy. I bought my Demeter preamp and Bergantino cabs from him.

11. Damn I need to take that 2 hour drive soon and check out the shop.

lowsound

12. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Nice find... that looks great.

13. Hyde

Hyde

Mar 30, 2006
    Boy, I'm going to be really emabarassed if that's the wrong bass!

14. withdevil

withdevil

Apr 23, 2005
    Dallas,TX
    rawkstar quantity X quality

15. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Hey, that looks like my 6er but smaller! Be careful, I've already gotten people saying I've got the Barney bass.:spit: :rolleyes: ;)

Glad to hear that you're really loving your CB still as well. I've been wondering about that one for you.

16. adrian garcia

adrian garcia In Memoriam

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    Matt, that's killin'!
    Congrats, Juan is a very reasonable dealer, i have hooked 3 bassists up with him this month and they are all very happy-
    got you message tonight when i came out of the show, thanks for the great words, bro. He is good! All the time! Enjoy that thing, my trigger finger is itching on a special order BN6 - i just have to make sure i can do 6- i have one comng in this week and i will find out. Enjoy that F!
    God bless, Adrian

17. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Bryan, TX
    Hey guys,
    Yup, that's the one! Thanks, Hyde for posting the pics!
    I have this knack for finding purple basses...I had a Warrior (which I couldn't get a decent sound out of, even after changing out the pickups AND pre, and took a HUGE financial bath on), a purple Zon Sonus fretless that was really nice, but I ordered a Stambaugh fretless with a pink ivory board (NOTHING sounds like pink ivory...pure mwahh goodness!), and now this one.
    I'm hoping the purple isn't as dark as it appears in the pics. I went to the F bass site, and there's a shot of a guy playing a purple F at an outdoor gig, and it looked AWESOME!! I'm hoping I get the same result!
    As far as sound, I must have had a really bad experience with ash as a kid and was emotionally scarred (probably some 34-pound 70s Jazz bass), but when I got my CB bass on a leap of faith, I was stunned at how good ash sounds! I also played the ash bass that went to the Groove Shoppe that Carey Nordstrand made, and it was easily the finest bass I've ever laid hands on! I'm hoping this F has enough low-mids to do the job. They have a rep of sitting SO well in the mix....I hope this specific bass does, too!

Adrian, like I said in my message, you ARE healed, and you have WWAAAAYYYYY too many gigs left in you that need to be played before you discard your Earth suit!

I know that the preamps have a rep for not having a lot of output....any thoughts on changing it out with an Aguilar OBP-3?

18. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Enjoy ! :bassist:

19. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Matt, my suggestion about that is to get yourself a Seymour Duncun pickup booster pedal and call it a day. It's just so well worth it. You can get one for under $50 used. Last I saw Bass NW had one for $49. The pre in the F is great, it's actually the pickups that are low output. I changed my preamp to an Audere (very, very glad that I did) but it didn't make the bass any louder.

20. My goodness. I guess your GAS outweighs your willpower....but MAN! That purple is just so beautiful. Wonderful wood grain too. Enjoy.