1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I'm what you call a mimimalist

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by gnarlyopossum, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Okay, I know this is an effects section, but I'm not a huge effects fan. I own some, but I'm not the biggest fan. I'm just making sure I'm not crazy. Are there other's out there, like myself, that try to do everything they can not to use pedals to get effects?

2. BassMan250

BassMan250

Jan 26, 2007
    Denver, CO
    I sold all of my effects a few months back, and although in the semi-near future I'm planning on getting a few (chorus, compressor, wah), I've been focusing on right-and-left-hand expression to get a varied sonic palette. Mostly I've been experimenting with harmonics, vibrato, and chordal work, since I'm still probably at intermediate level and haven't mastered chords yet.

3. If you don't feel the need to incorporate effects in your sound, and so in your rig, why bother asking if you're normal or not ?

Just a matter of personal opinion ;)

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    And why bother going into the fx forum to ask that? It's like going to a car show and asking them "am I the only one that tries to do everything they can to avoid using a car?

5. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Nothing wrong with not using effects pedals. In fact... there are several effects you can achieve without them, as long as you're willing to creatively use your fingers:

• octave harmonies (very difficult to do for most notes without two-handed tapping techniques, though)
    • tremolo (if you have a two-pickup bass and a simple pickup selector switch, it's possible to wire it for tremolo-like uses, a la Tom Morello in Rage Against the Machine)
    • dramatic pitch shifting (via a bass whammy bar on a capable bridge - a rare feature on basses, though)
    • volume swells (via turning the volume knob)
    • wah (via turning the tone knob)
    • vibrato and mild pitch shifting (via bending the strings)
    • overdrive and distortion (easiest way is to crank your amp's settings as needed)

And I'm sure I'm missing other possibilities. :smug:

Effects make many of these techniques easier by using your feet instead of your hands. And pedals can go beyond these techniques, too... but realistically speaking, the majority of bassists play without pedal-generated effects the majority of the time.

You're not crazy - that'd be us effects junkies. But "crazy" is often synonymous with "creative" and "revolutionary". :D

6. Sipuri

Sipuri

May 26, 2007
    I think it's not wrong to go to the effects board and discuss about using or not using effects i. e. the purpose and experiences one has made using / not using effects.

I regularly check the effects board (also in the german bass communities) although having sold all my effects during the last months or so. Sound comes out of your fingers my bass teacher always told me, he probably was right.

I just bought a used TC triple C Stereo Comp and that's it. But still I am always interested to hear about the experiences of others...

Regards
    Steve
    Bavaria/Germany

7. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    I have been seriously thinking of selling off my big board and maybe just keeping a few "essentials". Of course this is really cause I just want to buy another bass and need money! :)

8. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    The only effect I kept and use regularly is my Boss ODB-3

9. southshoreconor

southshoreconor

Oct 30, 2007
    The Road
    Endorsing Artist: Fender Musical Instruments, SIT strings
    the only pedal i ever had was my sansamp DI which i used as a pre into my GK head to get a "tube sound" out of it. then i decided to man up and get a real tube amp. bass>amp>cab. k.i.s.s.

10. Hawaii Islander

Hawaii Islander Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2007
    Rio Rico, AZ
    I have to admit, I'm a full on effects junkie! :cool:

I play mostly through my computer and studio montors using Line6 Gear Box Gold edition with all the add-on modules.

A little chorus, delay and a touch of reverb through the right amp module can give a real sweet sound.

I do bends and vibratos, hammer-ons and pull-offs, and slides (and some other techniques) as well. Experimenting is half the fun for me. ;)

11. I'm a little bit in the middle. I'm not a fan of huge sound changing effects, like envelope filters and synths. I enjoy chorus, and the occasional fuzz though. I find effects help me to progress and think of new musical ideas.

12. Bhuti

Bhuti

May 9, 2006
    Harlem, NY
    Warehouse/Shop Asst. & endorsing artist of Warwick Basses
    I'd consider myself a minimalist too. but my board would say otherwise:

Advanced EQ
    Octave
    Distortion
    Low Pass Filter
    Digitech Whammy (Maybe...)
    Delay
    Sampler
    Volume Pedal

All of them have a very basic need though. Maybe i'm in denial...

13. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    A minimalist is someone who plug his bass straight into his head.

14. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    Mystic Boo made very good points.

I am a pedal junkie I have many and am aquiring more.

However, the band I was in for the last 3 years was a classic rock cover band and there was no practical need for them, I could get the few needed changes to my tone without them. For that matter, I never had much call for my 5 string either.

Now I am in an original music project and I will finally be incorporating my effects (and 5ver) into my rig full time. Yet dispite that, the most important duty is to serve the needs of the song. If that means balls-to-the-wall effected mayhem...cool, if it means straight and clean then that's cool too!

In the end you have to play in the way in which you are best able to express your own voice through the instrument.

Cheers!

15. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I'm a minimalist compared to these pedal whores.

But seriously there are many who feel like you do, but they probably don't hang out in this here FX room.

16. Bhuti

Bhuti

May 9, 2006
    Harlem, NY
    Warehouse/Shop Asst. & endorsing artist of Warwick Basses
    Minimalist is a relative term. To me my rig is minimal compared to what i could use. It is bare bones meaning that i couldn't do a gig of one thing were missing. I do hip-hop/dnb so my rig is very minimal.

17. the_fonz

the_fonz

Nov 27, 2006
    Kane, PA
    i guess i'm a maximalist. haw

i seriously could not play without my Zoom B2
    i keep it on 100% of the time. integral part of my tone

18. My current set of effects include:

a couple keys
    8 and 16 penny nails
    some string
    a few largish alligator clips
    a paintbrush

so I guess I do not use pedals to get effects.

19. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    In addition to the above, there's playing with a slide, muting the bridge (with palm of hand or foam or a diaper or something), and bending strings.

20. Mayers

Mayers Guest

Sep 28, 2007
    I think I'm a minimalist too.

I only use : chorus , distortion( a la Les Claypool ) and reverb

I also use a loop station every time ... very cool pedal , so I play every role ( bass , guitar and do solo )