Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I'm wireless!!!!! (not music related)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Chasarms, Dec 10, 2002.

1. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I know most don't really care, but I am very excited that I can sit here with my wife in front of the tube and surf talkbass.

Got a netgear wireless dsl router here at the house now and my company assigned laptop with the wireless card and it is COOL!!!!!

That's all,

Chas

2. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    How fast is the connection?

I really want one of those new IBM's where you can drive around connected to the 'Net, but I'm po', so I don't see it anytime soon.

3. My house is set up with the SMC wirelss system for our dsl. Only mine, and my sisters computers are "hard wired" and my dad's laptop and my other sisters computers are wireless.

Hows the reception on yours? On the smc wirelss card in the laptop, we get no more than 70% signal, but with the USB SMC reviever, we get at most 50%, and some times none at all.

Also, we have a D-Link transmitter, from our old wireless set up (Word for the wise, dont use D-Link)

4. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    My house is a two story and of traditional wood and plaster construction. Sitting in the living room and sitting in at the kitchen table I get a 100 percent signal.

Netgear makes very good wireless network equipment. We can pretty much afford anything within reason at the office and we buy their stuff.

It actually seems faster with the router than it did as a direct connection. I am sure that isn't the case, but I usually get between 800K and 1.2M bps.

It smokes. Because of the network traffic, I think it may be faster than the t1 groups we use at the office. I can live stream mp3 files.

Chas

5. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX

Thats completely ridiculous :p

I love in the boonies, so the best connection we can get is 28.8, which, due to bad connections in the boonies, only connects at 24.0 kbps.

That is hard wired, mind you :p :oops: